Non-standard size mattress!

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Non-standard size mattress!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    india-november
    Participant

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum as we’ve just bought ourselves a part converted van so have been reading a few bits and bobs on here to get some tips but now is the time for me to ask a question…

Our bed area means that we can’t have a standard sized double mattress. At the moment we are sleeping on what the previous owner fitted which is just a sprung slatted bedframe from Ikea covered over with camping mats and a spare duvet. It’s okay, but we’re going to be away travelling for six months so need something better.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, where do you get your “non-standard” mattresses from, without having to buy an expensive custom made one? We were hoping to get a relatively cheap, or second hand, mattress so as to keep costs down for the ongoing conversion.

Any ideas or experience would be more than welcome! 🙂

mgroadster
    Participant

When it came to sorting out
    When it came to sorting out seating/mattress for our camper, looking at Ebay, everyone was clamouring for caravan cushions and paying silly money and even the “buy it now” muppets were selling at stupidly high prices, but I suppose thats supply and demand for you.
    In the end, you can do this…..Buy a new or used “memory foam” mattress off evilbay and providing you ensure its not pocket sprung with a memory topper and then you can cut it cleanly and neatly with a bread knife to suit the sizes you want. Cover with the fabric of your choice…new or car boot and jobs a good’n.

mgroadster
    Participant

When it came to sorting out seating/mattress for our camper, looking at Ebay, everyone was clamouring for caravan cushions and paying silly money and even the “buy it now” muppets were selling at stupidly high prices, but I suppose thats supply and demand for you.
    In the end, you can do this…..Buy a new or used “memory foam” mattress off evilbay and providing you ensure its not pocket sprung with a memory topper and then you can cut it cleanly and neatly with a bread knife to suit the sizes you want. Cover with the fabric of your choice…new or car boot and jobs a good’n.

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Darren
    Keymaster

Ikea sell memory foam
    Ikea sell memory foam mattresses, which you can cut down with a knife like the mgroadster says.
    I got my on eBay. £30 for a used king size foam mattress. It basically looks brand new.
    Make sure the mattress is pure foam, and has no springs of pockets.

Darren
    Keymaster

Ikea sell memory foam
    Ikea sell memory foam mattresses, which you can cut down with a knife like the mgroadster says.
    I got my on eBay. £30 for a used king size foam mattress. It basically looks brand new.

Darren
    Keymaster

Ikea sell memory foam

Darren
    Keymaster

Ikea sell memory foam

india-november
    Participant

Brilliant! Thanks guys, that
    Brilliant! Thanks guys, that sounds easy enough – I have to admit, my mum actually suggested that and I dismissed her (as I often do! 😛 ) as I didn’t think it would be possible to slice and dice a mattress. Guess I owe her an apology! Well, Ikea it will be then – we’re already on the road and don’t think eBay will accept “No fixed abode” for a delivery address!!

Also, I don’t really know why this is happening – at the moment, the spare duvet that we’re using in place of a mattress (which has actually turned out pretty comfy!) is getting damp underneath overnight. None of our belongings that we’re storing under there are damp – they came out of the house just before we left. And there’s no excessive dampness anywhere else – even the windows only have a little bit of condensation on them as we leave the vents and a slit open in the windows overnight. It’s really a nuisance as I’m having to airdry the duvet every day, which is fine whilst the weather is dry, but we won’t always be that lucky I’m sure!

india-november
    Participant

Brilliant! Thanks guys, that sounds easy enough – I have to admit, my mum actually suggested that and I dismissed her (as I often do! 😛 ) as I didn’t think it would be possible to slice and dice a mattress. Guess I owe her an apology! Well, Ikea it will be then – we’re already on the road and don’t think eBay will accept “No fixed abode” for a delivery address!!

Also, I don’t really know why this is happening – at the moment, the spare duvet that we’re using in place of a mattress (which has actually turned out pretty comfy!) is getting damp underneath overnight. None of our belongings that we’re storing under there are damp – they came out of the house just before we left. And there’s no excessive dampness anywhere else – even the windows only have a little bit of condensation on them as we leave the vents and a slit open in the windows overnight. It’s really a nuisance as I’m having to airdry the duvet every day, which is fine whilst the weather is dry, but we won’t always be that lucky I’m sure!

india-november
    Participant

india-november
    Participant

Nomad
    Participant

moisture
    Every camper here knows of this problem, it’s difficult to get rid of. When sleeping your body evaporates a lot of moisture and because of the temperature it becomes even worse. It’s very important to HEAT, VENTILATE or AIRCONDITION to avoid mold building in and around the matrass.

Nomad
    Participant

moisture
    Every camper here knows of this problem, it’s difficult to get rid of. When sleeping your body evaporates a lot of moisture and because of the temperature it becomes even worse. It’s very important to HEAT, VENTILATE or AIRCONDITION to avoid mold building in and around the matrass.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.