Newbie looking at a Mercedes 206D

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Newbie looking at a Mercedes 206D

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    gstarkey
    Participant

Hi, I want to buy a camper and have found a Mercedes 206D for sale for £2k (ono), but I’m not sure whether it is a steal or if they come laden with pitfalls. Are parts expensive/difficult to get hold of? What should I be looking out for/wary of?

If anyone could give me any advice I’d be really grateful.

Thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Mercedes 206 d windscreen available
    Mercedes 206 d camper van widescreen 1975

2. Mercedes 206 d windscreen available
    Mercedes 206 d camper van widescreen 1975

3. New purchase
    Just bought this on Fleabay 1975 Mercedes 206D Bariban

1. Mercedes 206d
      Hi there have you still got your 206d
      I’ve hust bought one and trying to find people whom own them for info

4. harleybazzer 2011 January 2, 2013 at 8:22 pm

wanting to buy apanel to convert
    just returned from six yrs in sunny cyprus,back in the uk to buy a panel van to convert,am looking for a merc van lwb,model i think is 610,could anybody tell me if there are models to stay away from engine wise?me and the wife will be full timing in the van,we like the squareness of this model,any advice will be helpfull,cheers baz linda lu

5. 206 306 Manual
    Those peeps saying they cannot find a manual can’t be looking very hard. Every time I go looking for merc parts on Ebay UK, there it is. A Merc 206 306 manual in English.

6. Dutch contact
    Hi, everyone. I have that contact for the Dutch guy. Sorry for delay but my van got burnt to a cinder in the storage field where I had it so somewhat lost interest in 206s! email is [email protected] Good luck! Who knows I may just get myself another 206…. if I can find one

7. merc 206 2397 diesel
    i have an old merc 206/tabbert motorhome and the pull start push stop cable seems to have stretched a lot and fails to start when hot but fine when cold,has anybody got a new/good cable please,thanks jez 07922 194394 thanks

8. Welding
    Forgot to say, anywhere South would be good, but for the right welder would consider going further afield.

9. Welding
    Could anybody recommend a decent welder who doesn’t mind taking on some serious sill work, and doing some creative repair to the rear door hinge joint (or even better has anyone got a spare rear door?!)

Spring’s almost on the way and it’s time to get the old girl spruced up for a tour across Europe! 🙂

10. Mercedes Benz L206DG Camper van
    We have recently brought a L260DG camper van, and I am trying to work out how the the bunks would fit. I think the van is a Bariban conversion and there is a long narrow cupboard on either side of the van above the window and door and that is all. The van spent it’s 20 years registered in Guernsey before being imported into New Zealand.

1. Hi Nigel
      Are you trying to

Hi Nigel

Are you trying to fit bunks to the existing setup?
      Can you attach a picture of the van at present?

1. Mercedes Benz L206DG Camper van
        Have given up worrying about putting in bunks, mainly because you have to store them when not in use, and the kids are big enough to have their own tents. Am going to fit a full width step on the back with provision for a bike rack, and will stick a porta potty in with shower cupboard as they are clamping down on freedom camping in New Zealand, as for posting photos, I will give it a go.

11. mercedes campervan
    hi

I have a mercedes 508d campervan for sale if you are interested it has a one full mot and reconditioned engine fitted and new starting motor. I can send pictures if you are interested.

thanks

1. Campervan 508D
      Caon you forward details of your 508D camper for sale please. (photos condition mileage price etc. I am in Glasgow area.

1. I have just posted that I am
        I have just posted that I am looking at a 508 ex nato ambulance, and have asked a lot of questions that I dont want to repeat,If you could take the time to read my post its possible you have the answers

2. Michael J McNamara October 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

campervan
      Is the van still for sale ,if so send me photies.

Thanks.

12. when ever i ring the main
    when ever i ring the main dealers they say the chassis numbr doesnt go into th e computer,? and they definatley dont supply king pin bushes it comes up as self manufacture,,,,,and dam it would’nt you know i just sold my engineering factory lol,,,,,help the best place i,ve found is david at http://www.classiccamperspares.co.uk,he‘s the fella me lad you need ps did i mention i love my 306 bariban hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm! you can see it fully restored(before the kingpin went at photo bucket.com bus heaven,,,,,,,,,,,luego amigos

13. re parts for a 206d
    I am suprised that you have problems at sourcing parts for the 206d you should be able to get most mechnical parts from your merc commercial dealer I work at a main dealer as long as you have your full chassis number you should be fine as merc sell parts world wide and a lot of developing countrys use old vans and trucks /mercs even have a old car section for parts give them a go first a lot of the time the parts guy may not be interested if its not a stock item good luck

1. mercedes ultra autobahn 206d
      hi, I’ve just bought this camper and its on a 1974 plate I’ve not had any luck trying to get a lower offside balljoint through mercedes themselves. Wondered if you have any contacts that could help out or if you could trace the part for me. Hope you can help out somehow, I’m getting desperate as I need part to get camper through MOT for summer hols. Looking forward to hearing from you or anyone with info on where to get one from. Thanks Andy.

14. Owner / Repair Manual for Hanomag/Mercedes 206D
    Hi,
    Anyone here has a copy of the owner’s manual and the repair manual (Betriebsanleitung / Reparaturanleitung) for the Mercedes 206D campervan? Or may be even a engine manual for the OM615/616 engine? I am looking for these for a long time and not finding any online, although I know they exist (they were published a long time ago)
    Many thanks for anyone who could help me.

15. Hi. These vans are great but
    Hi. These vans are great but be aware that they will often need welding and this does get expensive. The engine is ultra-reliable but very under powered so don’t get one if you want to go anywhere faster than 55 mph. Good fuel consumption for the size of vehicle and a beautifully set out van. Parts are a real problem. Most of the stuff for the engine is readilly available because Merc used the same unit in thier saloons and estates. For the rest I have to get it all from a guy in Holland because Mercedes has stopped making it. If you want something easy then go for a VW. These are much rarer but less desirable so resale values are not that great. I love these vans but they do need time and love and are not an investment. If you need any other advice or the name to the guy in Holland then email me. David

1. 206D
      Just read your reply and was wondering if I could get the guys name in Holland. I have a 206D and love it but need a transmission and hope you can help.

Thanks,

Jason

2. Owner / Repair Manual for Hanomag/Mercedes 206D
      Hi,
      Anyone here has a copy of the owner’s manual and the repair manual (Betriebsanleitung / Reparaturanleitung) for the Mercedes 206D campervan? Or may be even a engine manual for the OM615/616 engine? I am looking for these for a long time and not finding any online, although I know they exist (they were published a long time ago)
      Many thanks for anyone who could help me.

1. I got what you are looking
        I got what you are looking for, the betriebsanleitung for a L 206D with the OM 615 engine.
        I could make a copy.
        Just get in touch.

Lieve Vicky

1. l206d OM615 manual
          Hi Vicky,

I saw your post saying that you make a copy of the manual, if I could get one too I would be inordinately grateful!!! I’ve got a poor old girl that needs some serious welding (and bodywork tlc), and a bit of work on the gearbox (luckily have a spare), but is otherwise great! At some point I’m going to strip and rebuild completely to preserve her for a good long time, and a manual would make that a lot easier!

Thanks for your help, if you can.

Jon 🙂

2. 206d
        they are easily available on line both manuals ,you can get a free pdf of the workshop but the engine 1 will cost you 20, i sold this bus and have others and parts
        trev

3. Autobahn Manual
        I have been working on my camper and have a full maintenance manual as well as mauals for some og the appliance that came with it.

3. Mercedes 206d
      Have just bought Mercedes 206d which we’re delighted with, but failed to find third gear on the journey from Yorkshire to Co Galway in Ireland! Looks like we need new gear box – would you be able to let me know e-mail address for your contact in Holland?

Thanks very much

1. gear box
        if you haven’t found s gearbox for your l206d i have one i very good condition. I have to engine in good condition.

4. l206d bariban
      hi i’d really like to contact the dutch guy as well ?? i have a 206 and a 306 both bariban conversions ,,,i need kingpin bushes for them both and a kitchen unit for the 206 ? hope you can help
      cheers trev

5. Parts for Mercedes 206D van
      Hi,

I have a Mercedes 206D van and am doing it up at present. Any help where I can get spare parts, anywhere in the world, would be appreciated.

Bestr egards,

Brian

6. mercedes ultra autobahn 206d
      Hi,I have just bought this camper and need a lower offside balljoint. I could do with the contact details for the guy in Holland please and anyother contacts you may have who could help me out. Looking forward to hearing from you Thanks Andy.

7. mercedes ultra autobahn 206d
      Hi, I have just bought this camper and need a lower offside balljoint. I could do with the guys contact details in Holland and any other contacts that you think may be able to help me out. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks Andy

8. Your Merc T1 contact in Holland
      Hi, I’ve read an old post of yours about your Merc T1 contact in Holland. Any chance you could let me have his details? Thanks, Guy. 07740 307015 [email protected]

16. 206D
    I’ve got a 207D 1985 with 170,000miles had it 4years never had any trouble with it at all very reliable but rather slow

17. They are reliable
    They are reliable vehicles.
    What year is it?
    Is it on good condition?