New van for conversion

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions New van for conversion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    bimble777
    Participant

Hi All, we sold our 1986 Pilote R380 about a month ago, mainly because the bodywork got beyond our ability to either fix ourselves or pay a bodyshop to do it. It had given us twelve years of extensive travel, most years spending two months in France and Spain; we can now be classed as suffering from a very severe addiction.

Today we acquired a 2007 Citroen Relay MWB with a high roof and are now starting to address it’s conversion to a campervan.

The first problem I’ve come up against is fitting the flooring. The sides of the van have lots of mounting holes that I can use, but the floor is plain corrugated (wavy?) steel with no mounting points other than a few load strap loops. I want to put down one inch thick battens then ply boarding or some other suitable boarding, having insulated between the battens. I don’t want to drill holes in the floor if that can be avoided.

Can I get away with using something like StixAll, a building adhesive, or will the flexing of the van body cause this to break away?

Grateful for any advice you folk can send my way.

Ian

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Charging Chassis battery on-site
    Thanks, Darren, you are the third person now to advise the same, so I’ll leave the vehicle electrics well alone. We rarely stay in one spot for more than two weeks and a good chassis battery should be quite happy with that I think. Thanks again. Ian

2. Are you hoping to use the zig
    Are you hoping to use the zig to top-up the engine battery when on the hookup?
    I wouldn’t worry about doing that. The engine battery is unlikely to discharge much at all when parked up.
    It’s not worth risking damaging the computer.

3. Flooring etc
    Thanks for the info Darren – my local hardware store tels me that Stixall is the same stuff as I can’t find Sikaflex locally (trying to avoid too much postage on all the stuff I’m buying}.

I’ve bought 1 inch battens to glue down, then Airtec insulation to go on to before putting down standard T&G flooring. ( Airtec – http://www.ecohome-insulation.com/?i=59002 )

The next puzzle I’m trying to solve is the fitting of the electrics – I’m looking at a Zig CF8 or PMS3H for distro and charging. That is clear enough, but what I can’t get anyone to tell me is whether I am risking the chassis computer controlled ignition system by feeding a charge from the Zig to the existing chassis battery as well as the leisure battery. The handbook on my 2007 Citroen Relay tells me that the battery MUST be disconnected before charging. So forget to disconnect the chassis battery lead once when I park-up and trash a few hundred quids worth of computer kit? Any ideas?

Ian

4. Hi Ian
    A flexible adhesive

Hi Ian

A flexible adhesive such as Sikaflex will allow flexing as well as being very strong. Perhaps StixAll is equally flexible, but i’ve not heard of that one.

Once you’ve stuck down the battens i will be fine to build the floor onto this.