Need some initial advice

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Need some initial advice

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Familyfive
    Participant

We are a family of five thinking of buying a campervan to do shortish trips with – say weekends and fortnights at the most. Cos we can’t afford to do this unless the campervan becomes our main car, we need to choose something that can function in the every day. We don’t drive very much using the car once of twice a week as we live in a city and try not to. We want a pop top rather than high top and need to sit at least 5. We like the older more retro designs (esp the T25s) but they might not be practical and friends have just got a fairly new Toyota Japanese conversion which would be fine too. We would be grateful for any advice given, Cheers Liz and Rich

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Choosing a camper
    Hi Folks – We were in a similar position, I wanted a reliable japanese camper like the toyota or a mitsubishi but loved the T25… As we are only two I followed my heart and bought a beautiful T25 but I know I must be prepared for high fuel consumption and less reliability however, buying a vw affords you membership of a great group and no other other campers would allow you to do that.. We love the retro look however as a party of 5 I would consider an alternative option unless you can find a T25 with a large pop top (viking version) as they will sleep 3 children! Many families use T25’s so don’t be put off but for overall ease of use I would recommend a new, modern camper! Good Luck! Anthony

2. Hi Guys VW vehicles are more

Hi Guys

VW vehicles are more suited to couples rather than a family of 5.

If you want a pop-top then I would suggest looking at Mazda Bongos.  These are becoming popular family campers.  They are all imported from Japan, but there are lots around and spares is not a problem.  My only concern would be sleeping 5 people inside. 

I think you will struggle to sleep 5 people in any pop-top, except for some of the newer Japanese vehicles maybe.  To accommodate 5 comfortably you might need a big van such as a Mercedes Sprinter or Ford Transit.