Need advice on buying an LDV 400 Camper conversion

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Need advice on buying an LDV 400 Camper conversion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Tam
    Participant

Can anyone give me any advice on an LDV 400 (1991) camper conversion I am looking at buying. It is apparently mechanically sound and starts every time, sleeps 4, has toilet/shower room, full kitchen set up and usual electrical supplies. It is clean and well layed out inside. There is a small hole above the front bumper but it doesn’t look like it would be difficult to repair. It is up for £2800 but I have been told that LDV are “rubbish” and to go for a Merc sprinter or Ford Transit instead which would hold their value and are more solid reliable vans. Would I be paying way above its worth? Please help with any advice if you can. Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi there, is this post still
    Hi there, is this post still valid? Have you bought the van or still looking for one?
    Im converting my lDV camper at the moment – i think for 1991 camper conversion, £2800 seems a bit excessive to be honest. LDVs (if its the ford transit engine, which i think for that age it may be?) are work horses – shouldnt have engine problems they seem to go one forever! Rust wise, the places to look are the footwells for sure, as LDVs are renowned for having puddles around the front cab (bad design, windscreen leaks etc). Also the guttering for a van of that age – again any rust holes leaks, can get inside the van (like mine). So check inside for any recent looking wet patches, or streaks. They arent the fastest of vehicles – happy at 50mph, but who’s in a rush?! Especially in a camper. I bought my van for £1990 and its year 2001. Its a minibus, but all seats have been taken out. I think you could buy something similar for less money. But go with what you feel and good luck!

2. It seems like a reasonable
    It seems like a reasonable price if it is on good condition. How many miles has it done? When was the cam belt last changed?
    These are the important questions.

Any van can be bad is not looked after. LDV the same. If looked after it will be fine.
    Mercedes tend to be tougher than most vans, but more expensive.
    Transits are reliable, but rust very badly.

No reason not to buy an LDV. But check the mechanicals mentioned at the start here.