my 1991 Mercedes 308D

Home Forum topic Camper Vans For Sale my 1991 Mercedes 308D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

This is my 1991 Mercedes 308D camper conversion for sale its being posted on ebay from thursday evening with a reserve of £1200.

21 years old with MoT until June and taxed until August this year. 2.3 ltr diesel engine, long wheel base, high roof, kerb weight of 3.5 tons.

I’m selling it in order to begin a conversion of my own. Since owning this one I’ve enjoyed covering 13,000 miles over the last two summers in Europe and decided I want to do my own conversion for more trips, even further afield and last month I purchased the same but a slightly newer van, (with power steering!) hence The Dragon Bus has to make room for a younger, cleverer model.

When I bought the camper the speedo reading was 015,743 and I’ve added 13K; it now reads 028,095 as of today; so it must have been round the clock. The overall wear and tear would support this I’d say.
    There’s some body rust and soon after I bought it I spent £420 on new metal work. Underneath is sound. The road tyres are all good and it has a new spare tyre. The battery is in good condition too. The only advisory at its last MoT was for a small crack at the bottom edge of the windscreen.

The bus starts first time no matter how cold its been, it drives well and is very comfortable on long distances, however its burning oil and that has to be attended to before its next MoT. It pulls as well as ever and happily sits at 65mph all day long on the motorway but I’ve got the best fuel consumption at 55mph.

It doesn’t have a leisure battery but has 12-volt lighting and a couple of extra cigarette lighters for the cool box and GPS or whatever to run off when driving. You can use the lights for a couple of hours to no ill effect when parked up.

There’s a cool air fan mounted in the cab that was great to have in the summers (in the absence of climate control, lol)

The row of lights along each side of the roof work in park mode or when the headlights are on. The lights on the rear doors don’t work (the wires have been snipped off).

I should make a comment about its livery; I can’t claim credit for the artwork. Its hand painted, not transfers – each Dragon is different. It was lacquered for protection and the paintwork looks darker because of this. The Dragons are mostly much loved wherever I’ve taken it and it has never been turned away from a campsite (or pulled over by police for that matter!) The replacement/repairs to the sills meant some toes where lost from the bottom of the artwork but someone with a steady hand could repaint them perhaps.

The ‘kitchen’ is from a trailer tent but the sink doesn’t drain. I just used a washing up bowl instead. There’s no on board water tank. I used 5ltr water bottles, no problem.

There’s no walk-through option either as you can see. You get out and get in; except I quite happily used to climb through from the drivers seat, sit on the worktop and spin round to get into the back and vice versa.

The space at the rear of the camper is great for a couple of mountain bikes or just general carry space for tents, toilet etc. I fixed a very strong box screwed to the floor, for added security/peace of mind when leaving it parked up. Things like passports, laptop, camera, jewellery , whatever went in there.

Okay, now for the things that don’t work:-

The front mounted spot and fog lights don’t work, they’re not connected anymore (from before I bought it but not a problem for the MoT apparently; its passed several tests with them as they are)

The drivers window is propped up within the door as the window winder is u/s

The cab demister/heater fan doesn’t blow (however it’s not been a problem, even in winter as heat still convects to keep the screen clear) and when driving enough heat comes through to stay warm.

The door handle on the sliding door is a bit loose – it works once you have the knack.

The radio cassette gave up the ghost on me last year but speakers mounted in the cab roof are well positioned for sound.

What else can I say. I’ve loved owning it and you will too. Yes it has its quirks, its old and very peculiar but once you get to know it….it will really grow on you. It still puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it.

So, that’s it, anything else I haven’t thought of please ask; my mobile is 07979751043.

Vaclav

mercedes
    Hi, is youre offer still actual?

thanks

Vaclav

mercedes

thanks

Vaclav

mercedes

thanks

Vaclav

mercedes

thanks

Vaclav

mercedes

thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.