low batteries

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions low batteries

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Bavo76
    Participant

Hi all i am Darryl and i need some good advice as i am building my own motor home from a school bus and now want to know how your batteries are set up .Ive got 4x220amp batteries joined in parallel @ 12volt i run a pure sine wave inverter and have a few 12volt cig sockets attached inside and of course lighting and i need to know how to make these batteries to cut off the power once they fall to 50% as at present they will just keep going until flat. Ive got a 120watt solar panel attached to charge up these batteries .So is there such a thing like a buzzer to warn me once these batteries drop to 50% .I am at a loss as to what other campers have .my batteries are gel and can handle 62 amps of charge per battery .if you need anymore info let me know .i do have a 40amp smart charger but cant leave them attached to these batteries as it seems to not stop charging .IVE already melted 4x 100amp batteries leaving it running so don’t want to repeat this

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi Daryl
    Nice to hear from

Hi Daryl

Nice to hear from you.
    I’ve not heard of a buzzer type system that tells you when the batteries are low.
    I think most people have a visual battery monitor and just stop using their power when it gets to 50% charged.
    If you know a bit about electronics you could make one?
    It sounds like your smart charger is not configured for Gel batteries? Gel batteries should never be charged beyond 14.1volts, and floated and no more than 13.8volts. If your charger is doing this (which it will if it’s designed for lead-acid batteries) it will damaged the gel batteries.

Gel batteries need smaller voltages or else they get damaged.

For lots of great info try this page:
    http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html