LEZ compliance/van questions

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions LEZ compliance/van questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shinobidef
    Participant

Hi all

I’m new here and will be posting a lot of newbie questions over the next couple of months so hope you knowledgeable folk can point me in the right direction and over time, I’ll hopefully be able to return the favour!

I’m currently in the research stage of my conversion of Mercedes Sprinter 311 CDI LWB. I will need to go in and out of London for the first year or so due to work and my understanding is that for LEZ compliance, the following has to be true:

If under 3.5 tonnes GVW, the van has to be registered new after Jan 2002
    If over 3.5 tonnes GVW, the van has to be registered new after Oct 2006

Now, when I’ve looked at the Sprinter in mind, the GVW is 3.5 tonnes so presumably, no matter what, I can’t possibly load it to more than this weight without it being unsafe to drive regardless – based on that logic, there would be no point in buying a model post Oct 2006 other than the fact that it would probably be more reliable/less mileage.

However, a friend of mine who got screwed with his 2001 van told me that they’ll change the rules every couple of years so if I buy a 2006 van now and it’s over 3.5 tonnes, next year it will probably be non-compliant as it will be more than 10 years old, but I’m not sure if he’s right about that. I can’t see anything about upcoming changes other than the 2020 ULEZ.

I can’t seem to find out how the 2002 and 2006 cut off dates were reached – Mercedes have told me it’s to do with the engine size but didn’t actually give me any guidelines as to what to look for in a van to make sure it’s compliant. Elsewhere, I’ve read that it’s catalytic converters that make it compliant. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Yes, currently, there is no advantage buying a 2006 model, in terms of the LEZ.
    Mileage and MPG wont be that different. You’ll find many 2006 models with mega mileage.
    The LEZ rules have been like this for a long time. But, they will of course, be updated.
    But if you only need it for the first year, you should be safe with a 2002 model.

I have a 2002 model, and it’s considered more reliable than the 2006. Not as refined to drive though.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Yes, currently, there is no advantage buying a 2006 model, in terms of the LEZ.
    Mileage and MPG wont be that different. You’ll find many 2006 models with mega mileage.
    The LEZ rules have been like this for a long time. But, they will of course, be updated.
    But if you only need it for the first year, you should be safe with a 2002 model.

I have a 2002 model, and it’s considered more reliable than the 2006. Not as refined to drive though.

shinobidef
    Participant

Thanks Darren
    Thanks Darren

shinobidef
    Participant

Thanks Darren
    Thanks Darren

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.