Kiravan 6mm closed cell foam + what insulation?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Kiravan 6mm closed cell foam + what insulation?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dbram520
    Participant

Van: 2011 Ford Transit RWB, Reg height.

So I got 10m x 1m of this – http://www.kiravans.co.uk/lining/carpet-vinyl/thermo-acoustic-campervan-insulation-self-adhesive-7mm-closed-cell-foam-with-foil-inner-surface

1. But now I am wrestling with what to add to that? Should I put that on for the big flat pieces and then add fibreglass insulation over it? (The safe kind obviously.) I live in Europe and it will be mostly for 3 season use, although it would be nice for it to be comfortable for winter use as well. Right now I am leaning towards just the 6mm closed cell foam and plywood to see how comfortable it is or not.

2. As for the floor I am planning on the 6mm closed cell foam in between the ribs, then plywood then vinyl. Another question… should I add something more to that?

3. Don’t think I am going to a fan as the ribs in the ceiling will make it a major pain in the ass to deal with. There is only a 7 inch wide strip down the center of the van for installment of such. So I am thinking I will roll with just vents. Just regular floor vents? Location? One up high and one down low? And right on the outer/inner skin? (The thinnest part?)

4. Also, thoughts on vapor barriers? I’m leaning against it.

Thanks bros!
    Bam

Darren

Hi Bam
    Hi Bam

1. For 3 season use, you could just use the cell foam panels. But I, like you, would be tempted to put something else over it as well. I would probably go for a thin layer of closed cell foam, with safe insulation in the less flat areas.
    For winter use, use thinker closed cell foam, and fill more of the gaps.

2. 6mm is fine. I would use something thicker, to make it warmer in the extremes of spring and summer. Depends on your available headroom inside. If you’ve got the space, and a little more budget, go a little thicker.

3. All sounds good.

4. I haven’t, and have not had a problem, despite all weather conditions, and 2 people.

Darren

Hi Bam
    Hi Bam

1. For 3 season use, you could just use the cell foam panels. But I, like you, would be tempted to put something else over it as well. I would probably go for a thin layer of closed cell foam, with safe insulation in the less flat areas.
    For winter use, use thinker closed cell foam, and fill more of the gaps.

2. 6mm is fine. I would use something thicker, to make it warmer in the extremes of spring and summer. Depends on your available headroom inside. If you’ve got the space, and a little more budget, go a little thicker.

3. All sounds good.

4. I haven’t, and have not had a problem, despite all weather conditions, and 2 people.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.