inverters

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions inverters

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mufftydiver1960
    Participant

i am mid conversion and am pondering on the purchase of a 12v inverter, i have 2x 110amph batteries fed by 2x 40w solar panels, i will use a charger when on hook up, i have already decided on the ” true sine wave ” direction as i will need to charge camera batteries and run other electronic gear occasionally, the question i have is whether to buy 1 = 3000w max/1500w continuous or 2 = 2 x 1200w max/600w continuous.
    i shall only be running a tv 60w , a satelite unit 30w and occasionally a 55w heater if her indoors is feeling nesh, any polite advice and suggestions greatfully received.
    But no i dont want to change the wife .

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    I would get the 3000w max

Hi

I would get the 3000w max unit and a 2 or 4 way extension. This will allow you to run multiple devices up to a greater top wattage. It’ll also be a smaller footprint.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    I would get the 3000w max

Hi

I would get the 3000w max unit and a 2 or 4 way extension. This will allow you to run multiple devices up to a greater top wattage. It’ll also be a smaller footprint.

mufftydiver1960
    Participant

inverter
    Hi Darren thanks for that , do you use an inverter if so have you gone for true or modified sine wave and what sort of things have you found you use most ? Thanks tim

mufftydiver1960
    Participant

inverter
    Hi Darren thanks for that , do you use an inverter if so have you gone for true or modified sine wave and what sort of things have you found you use most ? Thanks tim

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Tim
    I have a mostly 12v

Hi Tim

I have a mostly 12v setup in my van. Laptop is charged via 12v adapter, and everything else is integrated.
    This leaves just the spare mobile phone charger and the occasional hair dryer that are used with the inverter. It’s not used a lot.
    I bought a cheap used inverter, so don’t even know the details I am afraid.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Tim
    I have a mostly 12v

Hi Tim

I have a mostly 12v setup in my van. Laptop is charged via 12v adapter, and everything else is integrated.
    This leaves just the spare mobile phone charger and the occasional hair dryer that are used with the inverter. It’s not used a lot.
    I bought a cheap used inverter, so don’t even know the details I am afraid.

tim

inverter
    Hi Darren I’ve been told rightly or wrongly that if you want to charge electronic stuff e.g.. mobile phones ,camera batteries , tablets Tec that you have to have pure sine wave, I don’t suppose you have any idea wether this is correct or not? Thanks tim

tim

inverter
    Hi Darren I’ve been told rightly or wrongly that if you want to charge electronic stuff e.g.. mobile phones ,camera batteries , tablets Tec that you have to have pure sine wave, I don’t suppose you have any idea wether this is correct or not? Thanks tim

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Tim
    I have never heard of

Hi Tim

I have never heard of this.
    So I did some investigating and have found it hard to find any information that backs this up.
    The best resource I found was the following page, which suggests that a modified sine wave inverter is fine for most phone chargers, etc.
    http://www.marlec.co.uk/off-grid-products/accessories/inverters/

I have a cheap inverter, which is surely modified sine wave, and have used lots of different things (laptop charger, phone charger, hair dryer, sander, camcorder charger, cordless drill charger, etc). And never had a problem. Although, I had a electric toothbrush charger fail, and I think it happened right after I used it on my inverter. Either that or it was the Plymouth Santander ferry that broke it.

In conclusion, I’m sure pure sine wave is better, and a good idea if you are using expensive 240v equipment. But for occasional use of cheap equipment (e.g. chargers, as the charger will break, not the phone) I would suggest a cheap (modified sine wave) inverter.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Tim
    I have never heard of

Hi Tim

I have never heard of this.
    So I did some investigating and have found it hard to find any information that backs this up.
    The best resource I found was the following page, which suggests that a modified sine wave inverter is fine for most phone chargers, etc.
    http://www.marlec.co.uk/off-grid-products/accessories/inverters/

I have a cheap inverter, which is surely modified sine wave, and have used lots of different things (laptop charger, phone charger, hair dryer, sander, camcorder charger, cordless drill charger, etc). And never had a problem. Although, I had a electric toothbrush charger fail, and I think it happened right after I used it on my inverter. Either that or it was the Plymouth Santander ferry that broke it.

In conclusion, I’m sure pure sine wave is better, and a good idea if you are using expensive 240v equipment. But for occasional use of cheap equipment (e.g. chargers, as the charger will break, not the phone) I would suggest a cheap (modified sine wave) inverter.

mufftydiver1960
    Participant

thanks for that darren ill let you know which road i end up travelling and if i find any info about true sine/ mod sine ill update on here so others can benefit thanks tim

mufftydiver1960
    Participant

thanks for that darren ill let you know which road i end up travelling and if i find any info about true sine/ mod sine ill update on here so others can benefit thanks tim

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.