interior trim & insurance & tax

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions interior trim & insurance & tax

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jessyb
    Participant

hello, i’ve just bought a t5 van with a view to turning it into a camper van.

q1 is can i do the interior trim (moulded carpet type material up the sides and roof & around windows and doors) myself? i had hoped to get it done but the only place i can find is busy until sept.

if i can do myself where do i look for supplies & how do you do the nice looking moulded bits?

if not, does anyone know anywhere in the midlands that will do?

q2. when does a camper van become a camper van (and not just a van) for insurance & tax purposes.

be VERY grateful for any repsonses / pointers to resources.

thank you.

jess

🙂

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi Jess
    We’ve just done the

Hi Jess

We’ve just done the same – bought a T5 for conversion – and I had exactly the same question re trimming. So how are you getting on? Do you have any recommendations for me? Have you given any thought to insulation?

Do you think there is any merit in pooling ideas/experiences either in a separate thread on this forum or directly?

Clive

1. Insulation is a must, keeps
      Insulation is a must, keeps it cool when its hot(wouldn’t believe how hot a van gets in sunshine) and warm at night. Don’t forget your vapour barrier though to stop condensation. Ho and watch you finger on the bench saw, Ouch wheres my thumb. lol

2. Hi Jess
    q1: It’s fairly easy

Hi Jess

q1: It’s fairly easy to fit carpet to the insides of the van.
    I have used contact adhesive, and other people have used spray adhesive with good results.
    A sharp stanley knife is required to finish the edges nicely.
    Take your time and remember, measure twice, cut once! 🙂
    I bought supplies from local DIY suppliers. Non-branded names are much cheaper than the bug DIY names, but just as good.
    I’m not sure about the moulded finish? Anyone else?

q2: The van becomes a camper van legally when the registration document is changed. Assuming you are in the UK you need to get the V5 document (log book) changed. Contact your local DVLA office, as the rules change and you need to follow theirs.

Cheers and good luck.