insuring my minibus/van/camper?

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas insuring my minibus/van/camper?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mistafeesh
    Participant

hi I’m about to buy a minibus, planning to take most of the seats out and looking to (gradually!) convert into a camper. Any help as to how I would insure it? As a van? Do I have to send in proof somewhere that its no longer a minibus?
    Or insure it as a camper? Or would this be more expensive than (non business) van insurance and would it be better to wait til it is actually converted to get camper van insurance ? Any suggestions? This is the first time I’ve bought a van to camp in and have found a low mileage ldv lwb minibus which I’m happy about, wondering how to insure it so I can actually drive it home to Cornwall!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi Dan
    I hear good things

Hi Dan

I hear good things about Sureterm. Glad you got it sorted.

Sounds like you have a nice van and a good project to do.
    Would like to come and have a look once you get started.

Cheers

Darren

1. cool. we’re already working
      cool. we’re already working away on her. Drop me a line on dan at oxdance dot com and we’ll organise a time for you to come and have a nosey – it’s always good to pick the brains of someone who’s already done the job!

Dan

2. As I understand it, 7 seats
    As I understand it, 7 seats or more and it’s a mini-bus. So you’d have to insure it as that to drive it.
    If it has less than 7 seats it becomes a van.
    If you’re going to convert it and re-register it as a campervan it is worth talking to an insurance company and seeing what they will accept.
    Several companies give you say 60 days to convert it from a van to a camper. When you’ve finished you let them know and they updated the policy.
    You could also insure it as mini-bus, drive it back to Cornwall, remove the seats, change the insurance to van, convert it to a camper and change the insurance to a campervan. That’s the long way, so it would be easier to find an insurance company who’ll just update the policy as the vehicle changes.

Insurance Choice are generally very good.
    See the insurance page:
    https://www.campervanlife.com/insurance

Good luck. Where in Cornwall are you from? I’m in Truro.

1. Thanks Darren. I called
      Thanks Darren. I called Sureterm direct (little yellow ad on the RHS of your site) and they said they’d insure it on the basis that we’d convert it in the next three months (ie take out some of the seats, and put in a bed, a cooker and running water!) It’s not far off half the price of equivalent insurance we’d looked at, so I’m very happy with that!

I also posted in another section asking for buying advice (campervanlife.com/advice-buying-van-please) too. We’ve decided on a lovely old 1993 long wheel base low roof LDV minibus with only 31000 on the clock. It’s an old school bus that’s been very well looked after. My wife’s gone to pick her up this weekend.

We’re in Newquay – you’re welcome to come and have a nosey at our van if you like!

Dan