insulation and lining: before or after windows?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions insulation and lining: before or after windows?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TeeCee
    Participant

I’m about to start my first conversion of a panel van. The windows will be fitted by the professionals [when I can track one down in central Scotland]. Can I start the lining process now, or should I wait until the windows are fitted?

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Have the windows fitted first, then you fit the lining up to the windows properly.
    Always start on the outside, and work inwards.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Have the windows fitted first, then you fit the lining up to the windows properly.
    Always start on the outside, and work inwards.

TeeCee
    Participant

ok, but how does it work with
    ok, but how does it work with caravan type windows: they seem to take into account the layers of insulation. Simple van windows just fit the metal skin layer and I can see that fitting these first would be ok.

My previous of the peg motorhome with double glazed plastic windows had a ‘sill’ of about an inch.

TeeCee
    Participant

ok, but how does it work with
    ok, but how does it work with caravan type windows: they seem to take into account the layers of insulation. Simple van windows just fit the metal skin layer and I can see that fitting these first would be ok.

My previous of the peg motorhome with double glazed plastic windows had a ‘sill’ of about an inch.

2LostInTransit
    Participant

TeeCee.. glad you’ve
    TeeCee.. glad you’ve clarified the window filament and placement. What’s confusing is that when says they want to install windows in their van conversion is that most of use thing we’re installing the custom replacements used to fit the blanks around a van which could have had windows but they were left out.
    In this case.. and based on your description of the window you want to have installed in your van.. One must pre-cut the opening as to allow for the window/s. test fit then panel the van. Once the insulation and paneling has been installed (leaving the installation out of the window area.. one can saw-all the panel open around the window, then install the window.

One great reference would be to watch how mobile homes are manufactured.. Again the build up the trailer’s exterior and interior then cut out the areas for the windows or other openings. Seems rather wasteful. But this is how it’s done.

2LostInTransit
    Participant

TeeCee.. glad you’ve
    TeeCee.. glad you’ve clarified the window filament and placement. What’s confusing is that when says they want to install windows in their van conversion is that most of use thing we’re installing the custom replacements used to fit the blanks around a van which could have had windows but they were left out.
    In this case.. and based on your description of the window you want to have installed in your van.. One must pre-cut the opening as to allow for the window/s. test fit then panel the van. Once the insulation and paneling has been installed (leaving the installation out of the window area.. one can saw-all the panel open around the window, then install the window.

One great reference would be to watch how mobile homes are manufactured.. Again the build up the trailer’s exterior and interior then cut out the areas for the windows or other openings. Seems rather wasteful. But this is how it’s done.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.