Hi From France

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Hi From France

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Road Trip
    Participant

Hi everyone, we currently live in France but are planning on moving back to the UK once our small medieval castle is sold, so, with this in mind we have decided on a road trip.

After weeks of research and checking out various vehicle last week we bought a transit LWB semi high top, its front wheel drive so apparently the floor is lower, we bought it off ebay (from the UK) when we arrived to collect it the roof wasnt as high as the seller thought it was, but, at 5’8″ there is a couple of inches to spare so it should work out fine.

Yesterday I made a start removing the lettering from the van and internal shelves.

We are hoping to start our road trip early next year so Im going to have to get busy, materials and parts are usually much more expensive in France but we have a couple of caravans that I can cannibalize for some of the parts so hopefully that will keep the costs down.

Ive spent a lot of time reading this forum and info on the site over the last few weeks and its been really helpful, so thanks to everyone for that, now perhaps I can give a little back and continue to learn of course 🙂

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    Great to hear from

Hi

Great to hear from you.
    Sounds like a great plan you have there.

What are you road trip plans?

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi
    Great to hear from

Hi

Great to hear from you.
    Sounds like a great plan you have there.

What are you road trip plans?

Road Trip
    Participant

Hi Darren, well first plan is
    Hi Darren, well first plan is to get the transit converted hopefully by the end of Jan 2014, we have stripped it out today, will be getting started on the insulation this weekend.
    Once its finished we will do a short trip for about a week up to Normandy, it will give us chance to make sure everything is working and make any changes.

Then first trip to the UK probably late Feb for a month or two, I know it will be cold but its the best time to check it out and see if we would like to do this long term, I figure we might as well get some winter traveling under our belt as summer will be a lot easier.

One question if I may, since the move to digital TV in the UK how do you pick it up with a camper? what equipment would I need?

cheers

Chris

Road Trip
    Participant

Hi Darren, well first plan is
    Hi Darren, well first plan is to get the transit converted hopefully by the end of Jan 2014, we have stripped it out today, will be getting started on the insulation this weekend.
    Once its finished we will do a short trip for about a week up to Normandy, it will give us chance to make sure everything is working and make any changes.

Then first trip to the UK probably late Feb for a month or two, I know it will be cold but its the best time to check it out and see if we would like to do this long term, I figure we might as well get some winter traveling under our belt as summer will be a lot easier.

One question if I may, since the move to digital TV in the UK how do you pick it up with a camper? what equipment would I need?

cheers

Chris

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Chris
    It’s a great idea to

Hi Chris

It’s a great idea to do some local camping to see how in the van works out for you.
    Winter trips can be more fun than we think.

I have tried a laptop digital tv receiver and found it difficult to always get a signal. I think it is likely you will need a rooftop ariel to get a good signal. Then you need to choose whether to use a laptop with a dongle or a TV to watch the programs.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Chris
    It’s a great idea to

Hi Chris

It’s a great idea to do some local camping to see how in the van works out for you.
    Winter trips can be more fun than we think.

I have tried a laptop digital tv receiver and found it difficult to always get a signal. I think it is likely you will need a rooftop ariel to get a good signal. Then you need to choose whether to use a laptop with a dongle or a TV to watch the programs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.