Hi everyone, i’m a newbie looking for advice

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Hi everyone, i’m a newbie looking for advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jules15
    Participant

Hi, we have been caravanning for a few years but since I’m scared to hook it up and tow it away myself we’ve decided to go for a campervan. We’ve just bought a ford transit minibus and are about to start the conversion. We’re keeping things pretty basic – a mobile three plug electric unit, a camping stove instead of installing a cooker and a sink with no tap!! The main priority is comfy seating & a full size bed.

Our friend Lee is going to start the insulation and re-lining of the van next week. I’ve gone for the thermal aluminium insulation from b&q. Can anyone advise what is the best kind of adhesive for sticking the insulation to the walls/ceiling?

The other query I have (the first of many no doubt)is about the floor – I have some packs of laminate flooring which is surplus to requirements and hoped to utilise this in the van. I had hoped to be able to lay laminate underlay on top of the existing lino and then lay the laminate on top of this. Would this be ok and if so would I use the underlay that I used in the house – green board type stuff, or would there be something better I could use.

Also has anyone used self-adhesive carpet lining? Is this easy to fit and do you carpet right up to the windows or is it ok to leave some of the metal exposed.

It’s all very exciting, any advice/tips are very welcome. Cheers Jules

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Guys
    Great news that you

Hi Guys

Great news that you are going to try campervaning.

I would try contact adhesive for sticking your insulation. It really is stick stuff and lasts a very long time. The spray can kind is quicker and easier to use,

Laminate flooring will be fine in the van. It does a bit of weight, but does give a good finish. If the existing vinyl flooring is fairly spongy you can lay directly onto, or go for an underlay. Make sure it doesn’t move once laid though. The vibrations might move it over time.

I’d not heard of self adhesive carpet lining before. I’ve just looked at it and it seems good. Why not give it a try?
    I always carpet right up to the windows, giving a neat as possible edge to the window’s frame.

All the best

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Guys
    Great news that you

Hi Guys

Great news that you are going to try campervaning.

I would try contact adhesive for sticking your insulation. It really is stick stuff and lasts a very long time. The spray can kind is quicker and easier to use,

Laminate flooring will be fine in the van. It does a bit of weight, but does give a good finish. If the existing vinyl flooring is fairly spongy you can lay directly onto, or go for an underlay. Make sure it doesn’t move once laid though. The vibrations might move it over time.

I’d not heard of self adhesive carpet lining before. I’ve just looked at it and it seems good. Why not give it a try?
    I always carpet right up to the windows, giving a neat as possible edge to the window’s frame.

All the best

thegeek
    Participant

I think my van is lined with
    I think my van is lined with the very same insulation (from B&Q) on the walls, and the spray adhesive was used.
    I used the 25mm thick sandwhich board material on the floor. Hopefully that will keep the heat out in summer and warmth inside during winter !

thegeek
    Participant

I think my van is lined with
    I think my van is lined with the very same insulation (from B&Q) on the walls, and the spray adhesive was used.
    I used the 25mm thick sandwhich board material on the floor. Hopefully that will keep the heat out in summer and warmth inside during winter !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.