Hi, did you know if you live in London you could be charged £300/day to use your campervan?

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Hi, did you know if you live in London you could be charged £300/day to use your campervan?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Traficman
    Participant

Hi there everyone, I’m a newby to this site but wondered if anyone out there has any information about the proposal by Boris Johnson to extend the low emission zone to ban “large vans” from withinn the M25. I have a 1994 Renault Trafic which must have started life as a van before being converted to a campervan. According to Transport For London my camper is a ‘large van’ and therefore from 2012 I will be fined £300 perday if I drive it in the Greater London area. They are impossible to contact for any sensible discussion so wondered if anyone knows if campers will be exempt from this, and if so how do I get my ‘van’ recognised as a campervan?
    Regards,
    Traficman.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. coomcamperconverts February 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm

expensive and they will just
    expensive and they will just about rob every bit of grunt your transit has

2. It doesn’t look like they’ll
    It doesn’t look like they’ll be making an exemption for campers at the minute. Maybe they simply haven’t clarified their position on this, but at the moment it looks like it’s simply based on vehicle size and weight (except if you’re a showman…). You may have to fit a filter and see if that will help you pass the test so you can be exempt.

I have a question, if I’m driving a vehicle registered in the republic of Ireland around London, will I get charged? It suggests that I register online, but if I don’t register, how would they get my address and fine me?

1. coomcamperconverts February 13, 2011 at 11:01 pm

fines
      unfortunatley for all us normal people who just want to live life and enjoy themselves there are things known as governments. now in the happy days when the irish and english governments used to hate each others guts .paddy could go to england on the ferry and drive at a hundred miles an hour from lands end to st johns with out a care in the world all the speed cameras in the country could take his snap and still not a penny would he have to pay. no fines no penalty points no worries .same for any british citizen who wanted to spedd up and down the borreens in ireland the gardai have no juristiction over any foreign license.sadly now that we are all europeans they will pass your info on to any european state that wants to fine you.similarly soon enough if you lose your license here you lose here there and everywhere
      in other words i’d imagine they will have no problem getting both your address and fining you !

1. 2012
        So I have one more year to pollute the air over London huh… Actually I’d be really interested to get my emissions level measured, and see what difference bio-diesel would make. Anyone know what price the filters that Boris is advocating are likely to be?

3. coomcamperconverts February 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

vehicle classification
    there is only one way to have your van recognised as a camper van and that is to get it correctly registered as a camper van with the relevant authority(what is it in england the dvla) its the vehicle registration office in ireland (fairly self explanatory).it might cost a couple of quid.the customs always stick there noses in in ireland as if you have converted the van and so increased its value they come after you for a precentage.but having said that once you do get it registered its cheaper to tax and cheaper to insure and happily in ireland exempt from any mandatory testing(this is probably going to change next year).