Help for a Newbie please

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van Help for a Newbie please

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kazmac
    Participant

Hi, want to buy camper van but don’t know where to start. Need one big enough for just me and the dog. What are good buys, where should I look, any advice would be appreciated please.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. campervan insurance
    i am coming to the uk in a couple of months and am hoping to purchase a campervan for travel in the UK and Europe. does anybody know of a company which will provide insurance for a campervan for under 21 year ols. i am struggling to find one!! help

1. Downunder Insurance provides
      Downunder Insurance provides insurance for non-residents for 20 year olds and older.
      http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsure.nsf/PagesBySection/Policies_Van_Insurance

Most campervan insurance only covers 21 year olds and older, as you know.
      If you buy a van than has not been re-registered as a campervan you can get van insurance, which you will be able to get if younger than 21.

2. Paul’s advice is great.
    Take

Paul’s advice is great.
    Take you time and look around. Look everywhere you can. Online, local newspapers, etc.
    A vehicle for you and your dog can be just about any type of campervan. Work out your budget, and how big a vehicle you want. Then keep looking until you find a vehicle you are happy with.

3. Reply to Newbie.
    A few thoughts:
    Don’t be rushed. look at various campers, irrespective of whether in your price range or not. Keep notes of what you liked and disliked. That way you’ll complile a personal checklist to help you avoid buying the wrong camper. Beware of leaks/mould, tops that don’t lift easily, logbook loan sales (you buy then find the owner, though legit, had taken out a ‘logbook loan’ on the vehicle, which gives the lender a right to it if the loan isn’t repaid), electrical problems (at least try out all the electrical equipment/sockets), seats which should convert to a bed but can’t be repositioned easily, gas leaks, sellers who use someone else’s frontage and perhaps say they’ll be moving home shortly, someone selling ‘for a friend/ relative’, the seller who says he owns the vehicle but can’t seem to say much about his camping trips with it. Take all the precautions you would if buying a car. Probably all a bit obvious, but at least it’s a a start. Hope you find the right one at the right price in time for spring.