help and advise needed with a solar system..

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions help and advise needed with a solar system..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    thenuttypuffer
    Participant

hi guys, i have just converted my campervan to solar, i have installed 2×100 watt poly panels and 2x 110 leisure batterys, everything seems to be working fine,
    but i am confused on my solar controller the are 3 sections. solar panel input.. feed to batterys.. and finaly a load output with a picture of a light bulb..i have my roof extracter fan connected to this, but for some reason it only goes live at night when the suns gone down and the led on the controller has gone off, very confused any help would be appreciated,
    also the main reason i went down the solar route was to run my 3 way fridge on 12volt constantly when traveling i have a split charge relay that goes live when i start my engine one feed goes to the fridge and one feed goes to the campervan 12v controll unit, and when i stop the feed cuts.. how do i set it up so when my engine stops my solar and leisure batterys take over? also will my 2×100 watt panels and 2x 110 leisure batterys cope with running my fridge, it is an old eletrolux caravan 3 way fridge,
    and finaly i have got a small 1000watt inverter when connected direct to the leisure batterys it wont work, but works ok when plugged into a cigerette socket being fed from my caravan distribution unit, most confusing..
    thanks for looking
    nutty.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Nutty
    The load output

Hi Nutty

The load output should work when the solar panels are producing power, as I’m sure you know. Do you have a manual with your solar controller to check this?

A 3-way fridge uses lots of power when in 12v mode, as it’s a simple electric cooler thats designed to run when the engine is running, so it’s not very energy efficient. If you find out the model and power consumption we can work it out.
    To run the fridge off the solar/leisure rig you need to wire it to the leisure battery (via a fuse box). Then, when the engine is running the leisure battery is charged, and also powers the fridge. When you stop the engine the battery/solar continues to power the fridge.

The inverter problem does sound unusual. You know it works, so it must be a cable or plug problem. Or perhaps the voltage at the leisure battery is tool low? Are you trying to power a low power item such as a mobile phone charger? That’s a good test.

Is you cable from the leisure battery to the inverter quite big, at least 6mm ?
    Have you put together a 12v socket for the inverter to plug into the leisure battery with?

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Nutty
    The load output

Hi Nutty

The load output should work when the solar panels are producing power, as I’m sure you know. Do you have a manual with your solar controller to check this?

A 3-way fridge uses lots of power when in 12v mode, as it’s a simple electric cooler thats designed to run when the engine is running, so it’s not very energy efficient. If you find out the model and power consumption we can work it out.
    To run the fridge off the solar/leisure rig you need to wire it to the leisure battery (via a fuse box). Then, when the engine is running the leisure battery is charged, and also powers the fridge. When you stop the engine the battery/solar continues to power the fridge.

The inverter problem does sound unusual. You know it works, so it must be a cable or plug problem. Or perhaps the voltage at the leisure battery is tool low? Are you trying to power a low power item such as a mobile phone charger? That’s a good test.

Is you cable from the leisure battery to the inverter quite big, at least 6mm ?
    Have you put together a 12v socket for the inverter to plug into the leisure battery with?

thenuttypuffer
    Participant

solar issues
    hi darren, ive sussed the solar controller out, just need to open it and flick a few switches ;O)
    as for the fridge not a clue i will look it up later,
    im batterd had a day from hell,lol

thenuttypuffer
    Participant

solar issues
    hi darren, ive sussed the solar controller out, just need to open it and flick a few switches ;O)
    as for the fridge not a clue i will look it up later,
    im batterd had a day from hell,lol

jaypb
    Participant

solar advise
    Hello folks sorry too but in I was wondering I have a 100watt solar panel charging my mains battery too keep it charged up when not being used and was wondering from the light bulb side of the regulator if I could charge my leisure battery or run a small 12v heater during the night regards jason

jaypb
    Participant

solar advise
    Hello folks sorry too but in I was wondering I have a 100watt solar panel charging my mains battery too keep it charged up when not being used and was wondering from the light bulb side of the regulator if I could charge my leisure battery or run a small 12v heater during the night regards jason

thomoi
    Participant

Solar panel
    Hi all,
    I have a camper van and the solar charge reads 3.2 then drops all the way down to 0 then back up to 3.2 then down to 0, I asked the camper van shop and they said that was normal, can anyone confirm this or do I have a faulty solar panel

thomoi
    Participant

Solar panel
    Hi all,
    I have a camper van and the solar charge reads 3.2 then drops all the way down to 0 then back up to 3.2 then down to 0, I asked the camper van shop and they said that was normal, can anyone confirm this or do I have a faulty solar panel

Darren

Hi
    Hi

What do you mean exactly by solar charge? Is this the voltage measured with a multi-meter coming from the positive and negative solar panel wires? Or the current (amps) ?

Darren

Hi
    Hi

What do you mean exactly by solar charge? Is this the voltage measured with a multi-meter coming from the positive and negative solar panel wires? Or the current (amps) ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.