Hello from Ireland

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Hello from Ireland

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Swefen
    Participant

I discovered this site in September and used its many resources to convert a 2001 Ford Transit into an incredible stealth camper with an amazing fold out bed and little shelves and cooker and second battery. So I guess after all this time it’s about time I joined the conversation!

It’s an 01, 114,000 miles, just passed the test. Cost me €1600. Insurance cost €1200 (I’m a 23yr old male) conversion cost around €400. I worked six months at a temporary position to afford this and tomorrow I’m moving out of my flat and onto the road! I’ve done a week in her already, (in the snow) and the insulation kept the heat in pretty well. (Though I’d always wake between 4-5, the coldest hour, before going back to sleep). Looking forward to the summer.

As Ireland is now a bankrupt cesspit our government is kicking everyone off commercial tax rates to pull in more money. So while the van cost me €160 to tax, if I’m caught using it for anything other than business my vehicle can be seized, and I’d be liable to pay the private tax rate. Which for a motor that size is…. €1200 per year!!!!

So I’m leaving this sack of shit in the proverbial dirt and heading to England where (fingers crossed) I have a job lined up for a month or two. Once I have enough money I’m off again to Europe then I think. My girlfriend has already made the move to Germany. But unlike her, I’d already spent a year in a foreign country paying someone else’s mortgage and didn’t need the stress.

Here’s to the high life, booze, poetry and the open road!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Hi Swefen
    Glad the website

Hi Swefen

Glad the website has inspired you to do a conversion.
    Hope you are managing OK in this cold weather.

I hope you’re trip goes well and you find work. Hope you make it to Europe. I’m off myself in a few weeks, so maybe see you around one day.