Got a bed. What’s next?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Got a bed. What’s next?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    radek4
    Participant

Hi all,

My first post here so first of all – big Polish hello from Switzerland.

I’ve recently become a very happy owner of VW T4 (aka Eurovan in US). Car came as a 9 seater people carrier and we promptly got rid of third row of seats (second one can go away quickly) and installed a DIY frame for a 140×200 cm bed. We tested car on two small trips and are very pleased Wink Next summer we would like to make use of it and are planing two monthly trips to warmer climate. The goal is to be quite mobile and stay for a max of 3-5 nights in one spot. I do not want to cook inside the car.. nor am I going to spend much time inside.

At the moment, apart from our bed, car does not have any ‘camper amenities’ at all. We started to collect some camping equipment and have camping seats, table, small cooker, etc. During the winter I wanted to do some improvements that will let us have more comfy life on the road. Problem is, with limited time and resources I do not know where to start.

So my question to you tinkerers is – what were your most valuable additions during conversions?

I definitely wanted to start with blackening the windows and/or installing some simple curtains for privacy and protection for the sun. Where to focus my attention next? Sort out the awing? Get an electricity socket? Mosquito net? Invest in small Waeco fridge? Get a extra socket from the leisure battery (we have one for extra heating system.. I think it is only used for that..)

Many thanks for help!

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Sounds like a great van you have.
    The things I have valued the most in my conversions have been

– A toilet, (a simple portaloo in the first van, and a fitted one in the second van)
    – Waeco compression fridge
    – power from the leisure battery to charge phones and laptop

I never got around to fitting an awning.

radek4
    Participant

Thanks Darren.
    Thanks Darren.

Waeco is already on my radar for Xmas shopping.
    Will try to sort out the second battery before summer too.
    As for awning I thought about getting Decathlon’s QUECHUA BASE SECONDS POP UP CAMPING SHELTER tent – seems to be a good solution fo this money.

Toilet – as much as valuable I think it would be tricky for such a small car. Will probably have to rely on campsites & nature? 😉

Fulltimer
    Participant

Re: Got a bed. What’s next?
    The first two Engel 12v compressor fridges I owned lasted about 5 years each, the price was high, but I thought it was worth it not to need ice. In the following 5 years I went through an Engel, a Waeco, and an ARB. None of them made it past 2 years. I finally just switched back to an ice chest and buying ice once a week. The simplicity and power savings of an old fashioned ice chest are refreshing, and since I go shopping weekly anyway, picking up ice is really no extra hassle. I keep my block ice in a separate container so my food never gets wet, and it is easy to remove to dump any excess water out. That makes it much more convenient.

Extra outlets for your leisure battery sound like a good idea.

Containers to keep everything organized and dry are a plus in my book. Some solar powered LED camping lanterns might be a welcome addition to your supplies, I like hands free head lamps too. Dollar store puck lights are also handy.

I would give some thought to foul weather days plans. Sooner or later they catch up with all of us, and having a comfortable place to hang out on those days/weeks when it happens can be huge. Laying in bed all day can be fun if by choice, but torture if it is forced upon you.

Make sure your vehicle is in good and reliable condition, breakdowns can ruin a good time very quickly. Towing insurance can be a great stress reliever.

Happy Travels!

radek4
    Participant

Thanks @Fulltimer – good
    Thanks @Fulltimer – good insights!

Sad to hear that Waeco was so bad for you – I usually hear good opinions on them and they hold value amazingly (if you want to sell them second hand). Which model/line did you own? Was it 2 years of continuous or occasional use?

Containers are sorted (we planed the bed frame in this way so that it holds tightly two large ones.. two more can be added if needed). Lamps are good idea – portable acu one and two headlamps are ready for the begining.. but I hope to sort out sth better.

For rainy days we plan to hide in a tent:

http://tente.quechua.com/en/tent/r-9,a-31,base-seconds.html

It works with sliding side doors and should be large enough for two chairs & small table (I hope! 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.