Gas locker

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Gas locker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stuart
    Participant

I am at the planning stage of my camper and have read some articles regarding a gas locker. Is a gas locker necessary/advisable? If so what sort of constructions is required. Would a plywood locker with silicon sealed joints do the job?. I have only seen gas lockers for sale in chandlers, not on campervan websites, but they are generally expensive. I assume I need a gas drop out vent on the floor.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Stuart
    It is a good idea

Hi Stuart

It is a good idea to have a gas locker. One that is air tight. If any gas leaks from the regulator it will sink, as gas is heavier than air. If the locker is air tight, and you have a drop out hole, the heavy gas will leak out of the hole.
    Any air tight material is fine. Metal is not really necessary, as you can’t really contain an exploding gas bottle.
    Plywood and silicon should work well.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Stuart
    It is a good idea

Hi Stuart

It is a good idea to have a gas locker. One that is air tight. If any gas leaks from the regulator it will sink, as gas is heavier than air. If the locker is air tight, and you have a drop out hole, the heavy gas will leak out of the hole.
    Any air tight material is fine. Metal is not really necessary, as you can’t really contain an exploding gas bottle.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Stuart
    It is a good idea

Hi Stuart

mham05
    Participant

Hi Stuart I put my gas locker
    Hi Stuart I put my gas locker in my kitchen unit with a vent out to the rear at the back of the van. If the gas were to leek from the bottle it would escape through the rear vent in the floor of the van.( usually covered by a metal plate with slats on it.)
    I also use this as my water waste outlet.

mham05
    Participant

Hi Stuart I put my gas locker in my kitchen unit with a vent out to the rear at the back of the van. If the gas were to leek from the bottle it would escape through the rear vent in the floor of the van.( usually covered by a metal plate with slats on it.)

mham05
    Participant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.