Ford Transit Connect – initial questions/ideas

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Ford Transit Connect – initial questions/ideas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    onelittledid
    Participant

Hello!

I just posted an introduction in the “introduce yourself” thread and wanted to post here to get my specific questions into the appropriate thread. I’m a first-time converter, right at the beginning of the process. Had a fantastic experience with a converted Dodge Grand Caravan over the summer and we’re diving in to convert our own. In researching vehicles, we’ve fallen in love with the Ford Transit Connect for it’s look, height and the great skylight option – seeing stars is high on our list! But I’m finding it hard to know how comparable the two are in storage and sleeping space.

I’m looking at the Transit Connect Wagon (LWB) for the windows and in the hopes of using the seating options in the back in some way. Ideally, we want to have it convert to sleep two people with space for clothing and camping supply storage (cooler, camp stove, foodstuffs, basic cooking, etc.) AND, if possible, I want to convert it in such a way that we can use 1-2 backseats for other passengers when we’re not sleeping in it. Not sure if both those are realistic. The Transit Connect can have all the seats fold into a flat surface, but if I keep seats in, I’ll lose the potential storage area below the bed.

We don’t need built-in plumbing – will just carry a water container like for tent camping. I do want to fashion a “kitchen” to pull out of the back (a swivel counter-top for a cooking or prep surface).

I saw a conversion that had the drivers and passengers seats able to swivel to face the back and that would make such a huge difference. The dealer rep that I talked with today said that would be something I’d have to figure out on my own and wasn’t an option through them. He also said that the seats were set down in a track and so there isn’t room for them to swivel. I do see discussions on a few forum pages that say it’s possible to do (and worth it) but then get way more mechanical than the level I’m at right now. Is it possible?

Any starting advice for comparing the two vehicles or endorsements for the Transit Connect Wagon? I really want this to be our vehicle, but I have to know that it’s a smart choice and that I will be able to learn what I need to to convert it!

Thanks!
    Jen

Darren

Hi Jen
    Hi Jen

Nice to hear from you, and great to hear of your plans.

Its quite common for the front seats to swivel around to face the back. On smaller vehicles it’s often only possible to do this with the passenger seat, as there is not enough room for the drivers seat to swivel due to the steering wheel and the handbrake.
    The seats swivel by fitting a bracket.

The following page has a micro camper section which might give you ideas for your conversion.
    https://www.campervanlife.com/self-builds

Darren

Hi Jen
    Hi Jen

Nice to hear from you, and great to hear of your plans.

Its quite common for the front seats to swivel around to face the back. On smaller vehicles it’s often only possible to do this with the passenger seat, as there is not enough room for the drivers seat to swivel due to the steering wheel and the handbrake.
    The seats swivel by fitting a bracket.

The following page has a micro camper section which might give you ideas for your conversion.
    https://www.campervanlife.com/self-builds

2LostInTransit
    Participant

I agree with Darren.. the
    I agree with Darren.. the smaller or miniCargo vans just do not offer enough room or clearance to have captains chairs or the swivel around seats. which is fine with us. However, if you move up to the larger Ford Transit (not the Connect) van.. I believe one can get away with having the swivel seats as well as having 4 wheel drive and diesel engines.

As for the rear seating arrangement, again I believe the rear seats can be folded down so that they can be used as beds in the back of the van.. which can work in your favor.. meaning that there is about a 2 foot clearance (give or take which van you’ve purchased) under each bench seat that can allow for storage options.

At one point I’ve seen one fellow create a whole sliding table arrangement which slides out the rear doors and opens up to allow for a verity of options or configurations for those camping or tailgating.

2LostInTransit
    Participant

I agree with Darren.. the
    I agree with Darren.. the smaller or miniCargo vans just do not offer enough room or clearance to have captains chairs or the swivel around seats. which is fine with us. However, if you move up to the larger Ford Transit (not the Connect) van.. I believe one can get away with having the swivel seats as well as having 4 wheel drive and diesel engines.

As for the rear seating arrangement, again I believe the rear seats can be folded down so that they can be used as beds in the back of the van.. which can work in your favor.. meaning that there is about a 2 foot clearance (give or take which van you’ve purchased) under each bench seat that can allow for storage options.

At one point I’ve seen one fellow create a whole sliding table arrangement which slides out the rear doors and opens up to allow for a verity of options or configurations for those camping or tailgating.

Maria-Teresa

I love my transit connect wagon
    Hi Jen,

I’m a first timer too. I just bought the TC wagon minus the skylight after test driving the cargo version and the full sized Transit. I’ve been dreaming of converting it to a two-person sleeper so that we can save money when we travel from Miami to San Francisco to visit our children.

So far I am loving its fuel efficiency. It drives like my previous car (Honda Insight) and fits perfectly inside our tiny garage. I removed the two back rows of seats because I wanted to gain storage space. I just took it to my friend’s workshop hoping that he can help me build a platform to place one inflatable mattress on top of the other. I figured that this sort of bunk bed will provide more storage while driving as well. The idea is to make such platform removable so that I can reattach the seats when needed.

My understanding is that we would lose the airbags in the driver and copilot seats if we install swivel brackets. I think that will keep them as they are for safety reasons. There is a way to fold the copilot seat all the way to the front as shown in the last minute of this video: https://youtu.be/uqKmKPBSCHU

I’ll be following your thread anxiously to get ideas. Thanks !
    MT

Maria-Teresa

I love my transit connect wagon
    Hi Jen,

I’m a first timer too. I just bought the TC wagon minus the skylight after test driving the cargo version and the full sized Transit. I’ve been dreaming of converting it to a two-person sleeper so that we can save money when we travel from Miami to San Francisco to visit our children.

So far I am loving its fuel efficiency. It drives like my previous car (Honda Insight) and fits perfectly inside our tiny garage. I removed the two back rows of seats because I wanted to gain storage space. I just took it to my friend’s workshop hoping that he can help me build a platform to place one inflatable mattress on top of the other. I figured that this sort of bunk bed will provide more storage while driving as well. The idea is to make such platform removable so that I can reattach the seats when needed.

My understanding is that we would lose the airbags in the driver and copilot seats if we install swivel brackets. I think that will keep them as they are for safety reasons. There is a way to fold the copilot seat all the way to the front as shown in the last minute of this video: https://youtu.be/uqKmKPBSCHU

I’ll be following your thread anxiously to get ideas. Thanks !
    MT

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.