floor in VW

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions floor in VW

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vonjean
    Participant

Hi ! I have booked in my VW T5 transporter for a camper conversion in a few months time, Few things wondering about, man doing it normally does Motorhomes, which I guess are mainly fibreglass. Wondered at your thoughts about the floor. It has a fitted thick rubber floor from VW there now. He want to rip it out and put in sheet of ply. Asked why cant leave in for sound & insulation, & put ply over the top, said he bolts cupboards etc to the wood floor, so better it out? have a few other things not sure about, love ther thoughts on later.
    Vonjean

Darren
    Keymaster

His approach is correct. You can build wooden floor onto which to sit all of the furniture.
    I can see why you would want to leave the rubber floor down.
    Is he going to insulate the floor, underneath the plywood?

vonjean
    Participant

Hi Darren, yes I figured he wants to bolt stuff down to the ply, but was hoping it would not matter if this rubber matting was under. It is rubber both sides with hard sort of padding inbetween, about 10ml thick.He said he would leave in if I really wanted to do so, but now worried I will make it a poor job by doing so. I have tried a sheet of ply over it, and there does not appear to be any movement.
    Another thought for me was, wood straight down as he wants to do, & I put the matting just in walk ways after, except this stops it being an easy clean finish then, and only half of benefits.
    When he asked me why I really wanted it, I said the obvious things, sound and insulation, he at the time offered to put under the board, a VERY thin sheet silver stuff, possibly insulate (?) but can not think it would do anything at all to keep noise down. It was professionally fitted by VW when bought the van.
    Thanks for your thoughts
    Vonjean

vonjean
    Participant

Oh, just read after submitting! The last bit about professionally fitted by VW meant only the rubber floor.

Darren
    Keymaster

The silver sheet will offer some insulation but not noise dampening, like you say.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about sound insulation through the floor, as most noise comes in from the walls and roof when you are inside the vehicle.
    If you will use the vehicle a lot in cold weather than definitely consider a more substantial floor insulation, but for spring/summer/autumn use the foil will be sufficient.

vonjean
    Participant

Thanks Darren,
    When I travel, going from Tasmania, north to Queensland every year [to get away from the Tassie cold winters] I get massive difference in temperatures, in one day even! Drive through the desert past Alice Springs can be in the minus over night, and mid 30 in the day, this is winter.
    I end up in gem fields of Queensland, where it is warm for few months then head south as gets too hot. So unfortunately I have to try and cater for all temps every winter!
    So still unsure about floor!
    Need to decide soon as another fellow is going to install a security fly screen across sliding door, and needs to know height of floor.
    Ho-hum hate to make wrong choices.
    Vonjean

Darren
    Keymaster

If you are encountering any cold weather I’d recommend at least some floor insulation. I didn’t on mine (other than plywood) and the floor is a little too cool on cold mornings.

vonjean
    Participant

Decided on compromise, as we (fellow who I’d converting the van ) already seem to be differing on a few things, so took out the rubber floor today,, all in one piece.
    Thought if it does get too cold, I could put a strip down the centre, as cupboards and bed, take up the rest. Hopefully this will work? Kept thinking, if I insisted on leaving it in. And trouble started I would get the “told you so, !

Next thing, I sent up for a great little 12 volt fridge, with a separate freezer, was only $330 delivered, ( about 460 pounds?) looked at the requirement space, when built in, it was saying a whopping 20 cm each side, 30 cm on the top, 50 cm on the back. Think 30 cm is 12 inches?
    Back no problem, as it will sit against the fly screen having installed, but does it have to have all this room do you think? Was only planning on around around 3cm on side maybe little more on the top but not much.
    Brand is a Glacio can’t find anything on it. What do you think.
    Fellow will have a fit when he sees it!
    Vonjean

Darren
    Keymaster

Hmm, that seems like far to much space. I have a Waeco fridge and it only has 1 or 2 cms each side and works perfectly well.
    I don’t see why it would need 30 cms.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.