Engineers report, Insurnace and the rest

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Engineers report, Insurnace and the rest

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Noo Noo
    Participant

hello all.

New to this site and been thinking about converting a van but I’ve got some concerns regarding something called and Engineers report and troubles getting insurance and the rest.

I dont know a whole lot about the above so any advice is welcome.

Ta

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Motor Caravan Self Build Engineers Report
    Hi does anyone know where I can get this done in North Devon many Thanks Kevin

2. Many insurance companies do
    Many insurance companies do not require an engineers report.
    I did my own conversion, with lots of electrics, and it’s all been fine, after 6 years and many miles.
    Really pays to know how everything is connected, which you get by doing it yourself.

1. Best insurance
      Hi Darren,
      You said you’ve been on the road for 6 years, can I ask you a few questions please?

Who did you choose for your insurance? I’m scared about how much I would have to pay for insurance after converting the Luton of my dreams. Does this also change if you’re driving more frequently rather than just holiday making?

Is your vehicle conversion re-classified with the DVLA and do you know if vehicles over 3.5t are re-classified does that mean you can drive them on a regular license even if they are over 3.5t?

Also with your own fittings, did the MOT go smoothly?

And have you had any troubled taking your converted van abroad at all with weight andf liscense regulations?

Thank you for your time,
      Kat

1. Hi Kat
        Hi Kat

Not on the road for 6 years. I’ve had this campervan for 6 years, spending the second year on the road.
        I had another campervan before that, which I did a 9 month trip in.

I contacted http://www.campton.co.uk who are a broker, and they advised me on the best policy.
        The first year I insured the vehicle just as a van.
        The second year, when on the road, had a full-time Europe policy.
        Then after that, when back in the UK, a more regular campervan policy.
        All done via Campton.co.uk

My camper is not re-classified. I had to get a motorhome dealer to fill in a form for the insurance company that confirmed it was converted well, had a water tank, table, etc.

When did you pass your driving test. If before 1997 you can drive a vehicle bigger than 3.5t now, if after 1997 it’s a bit different.

Normally, the MOT inspector will not look at anything concerning the conversion. They are looking at the road worthiness of the vehicle. On one MOT I had an advisory that they could not see the underside of the vehicle, but not since.

Never had any problems taking it abroad, it’s never been seen differently as a professional conversion.

Hope that helps

3. Conversion
    Hi,have read above comments and still a bit confused???
    Having a it of a run in with my dad at the mo,bickering over this “engineer report”.
    I have tried to explain that we may need professionals to fit all fixtures but he still keeps harking on about the dreaded “engineers report”.
    I am capable of all carpentry and plumbing etc ,but would only let qualified motor electrician with certification work on my project… Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

4. insurance etc
    First thing get the log book changed,bit of a catch 22,dvla now require full description and photos when completed. Then insure it,no need for an engineers report with somebody like Adrian Flux ins,get breakdown with Boncaster,£33 for a year getting continental ins a bit hard AA very high and mighty,try Green Flag,anyway loads of people do it ,just do the very best job ,I’ve done 3 so far,nothing like the freedom,try caravan wreckers for bits and use quality stuff, lots of “real” campers are pretty flimsy and not that comfortable, cant beat bespoke if done well and somebody will always buy a good one