Electrics

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Electrics

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    wpserle
    Participant

I have picked up a cheap LDV minibus conversion which on the most part has been done pretty well. The electrics however are, at best, basic.

The previous owner relied on mains hook up and an extension through the window. This is fine however I don’t intend using the van solely at campsites so would like my own power.

The question is this;

If I have a leisure battery, do I use an inverter to boost it to ac mains voltage allowing me to use “normal devices” ie lights / phone charger, or do I buy low voltage DC appliances or is it a mixture of both?

I presume I can charge the leisure battery form my mains hook-up when available or alternator when on the move.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Will

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Depends
    Hi Will

Yes, you can use an inverter to change the 12v battery supply to 240v for you mains appliances.

However, I used a 12v phone charger, and a 12v laptop charger in my camper van. Converting 12v to 240v is not very effective.

Running 12v chargers for you phone, etc is a better use of energy, and will make the battery last longer. You can also fit 12v lights.

You can charge the battery from a mains battery charger, or from your alternator if you fit a split-charge replay or similar switch.