electric system

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    zfische
    Participant

Currently all of my interior lights run on a bunk battery in the back of the van. I have one outlet that only works when I plug the van in at a hook up campsite. The lights are not hooked up to the plug in, so they only run off of the bunk battery. The only thing the current plug in works when plugged in is the one outlet in the van. The bunk battery is charged when the vehicle is running. Now here is my question, and what i would like to do. I would like to hook a charger up to the bunk battery that i can plug in when i am camping. This is so i can use the lights and not worry about draining the bunk battery. Also, this way the van does not have to be on for the bunk battery to charge. But i would still like the van to charge the bunk battery when the van is running. What what i need to do to make this happen? Also, what materials will i need to purchase? Any advice would be of great help. Thank you for your time!

DAVEY
    Participant

Battery Charging
    The simplest, possibly cheapest, but not the prettiest way to do it is buy a basic car battery charger and connect it to the bunk battery using the crocodile clips on the charger, then plug the mains cord from the charger in to the outlet that works when You’re on a hook up site.
    This will keep the bunk battery charged and power the lights from the hook up through the charger and bunk battery.

DAVEY
    Participant

Battery Charging
    The simplest, possibly cheapest, but not the prettiest way to do it is buy a basic car battery charger and connect it to the bunk battery using the crocodile clips on the charger, then plug the mains cord from the charger in to the outlet that works when You’re on a hook up site.
    This will keep the bunk battery charged and power the lights from the hook up through the charger and bunk battery.

Darren

I agree with Davey. Just add
    I agree with Davey. Just add a mains battery charger to the leisure battery. A leisure battery charger would be better. This will charge the battery and power the lights at the same time. Ensure your hookup is disconnected before you start the engine and there is no need for any other equipment.
    Assuming your internal lights are not very powerful you can use a basic charger, no need for an expensive one.

Darren

I agree with Davey. Just add
    I agree with Davey. Just add a mains battery charger to the leisure battery. A leisure battery charger would be better. This will charge the battery and power the lights at the same time. Ensure your hookup is disconnected before you start the engine and there is no need for any other equipment.
    Assuming your internal lights are not very powerful you can use a basic charger, no need for an expensive one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.