Dual-Purpose Van

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Dual-Purpose Van

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    flyingjonn
    Participant

My girlfriend is a plumber who currently uses a Transit for work. She is a keen camper but we have limited space to park at home. Ideally she would like a camper van and to make this feasible, it would be great if it were possible to have a van that could be used for plumbing stuff most of the time but also had removable fittings that converted the use to a motor caravan for long weekends or longer trips. Probably not practical but thought I would put the question on this expert forum to see if anyone has experience and/or suggestions in this area.

Thanks in anticipation for any responses.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Cooking
    10 yrs ago we hired a Hi Ace in Australia. It had been professionally converted with a side kitchen. However the stove was in a wooden unit behind the passenger seat. The unit was mounted on a pivot hinge between the passenger door and the rear sliding door. This could easily be used inside the van, or would swing out through the sliding door for outside cooking. The pivot would lift off, and the cooker could be carried anywhere (or stored in garage). The gas bottle was in the bottem of this unit. When cooking outside there was still plenty of space to fit through the sliding door.

2. Hi,
    I’m planning to do a van

Hi,

I’m planning to do a van conversion on a van where I will want to remove the ‘camper’ element on a regular basis.

I originally was thinking about bolting everything in place, but when I thought about it realised I didn’t have to. I’m not having any tall units, just a ‘settee’ that folds out into a bed and a storage box/coffee table that forms the second part of the bed platform. I’m just going to screw some wooden battens (about 2cm x 2cm) to the floor in the places where the settee and box go, which will stop them moving about when driving. The settee and box will just lift out when I want to use the van as a load transporter. I will have a bulkhead to stop the box/settee coming forward into the drivers compartment in the event of an accident!
    With the camper element removed, there will just be a few battens screwed into the floor.

Matt

3. I have thought of doing this
    I have thought of doing this in the past.
    2 things come to mind.

1. Surfers often put in a false floor in their vans, about 30cms high. This allows them to store their surfboards under the floor, whilst still using the space above for sleeping, seating. This works best with VW vans where you cannot stand up, or high-top vans when you can still stand up even with the false floor.
    2. It is quite easy to make a removable kitchen area. See the layouts page which has some self contained kitchen units that unclip and remove from the van.
    https://www.campervanlife.com/building/layouts

You can also use camping chairs and a blow up/spare mattress. This way you can load the camping gear into the van for the weekend, and empty it again on Monday morning for work purposes.

There are lots of options. It depends whether you want permanent fixtures/storage in the van.