Complete Newbie

Home Forum topic Introduce Yourself Complete Newbie

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Badger_Lady
    Participant

Hia,

I’m based in Wales and am in the process of buying my first camper… and seriously considering converting it myself.

I travel alone and don’t have a driveway, so I’ve been looking at real compact vans like the Bedford Rascal / Suzuki Supercarry or the Diahatsu Hijet. But each of the converted ones for sale has a design flaw (in my opinion), and I’d like to get it 100% right.

Having said that, I have no real mechanical or construction experience and have a history of getting bored halfway through projects. So this could be a terrible idea…

The advantage of starting with a Diahatsu Hijet base vehicle, of course, is that it’s a car rather than van, so there is already lighting, heating and windows in the back. I would need to put in a poptop. I’m still unclear whether it would need much more insulation. And of course I’d need to sort out a leisure batter / rewiring / gas etc…

Anyway, I’ll start posting questions in the appropriate parts of the forum, but hello until then!

Badger

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. looking around at every model
    Hi there Everyone, my name is Debs i live in Eastbourne down by the coast, i have a small family of just 3, Mike my hubby and josh our son whos just 5. we Started camping before Josh was born, and now we have a family tent, alswys looked at the motorhome, the campervans. We like to go the N.E.C in Birmingham, like we did last October 2009, there it opened our eyes to what u see, and get for your money.

We have hired a motorhome out for a week, cost a lot of money as well, and a pain in the bum, when u can hear all the plates etc rattle around, me having TINNITUS RINGING IN THE EARS WAS A RIGHT NIGHTMARE TOO.

We are looking at everything at the moment, at the weekend we had a show called Extreme Sports, we didnt know it was on, skateboards, bikes doing stunts etc.

The best thing of all was seeing all the campervans on show, and people and there friends just lapping up all the sunshine, with a bear in one hand or a cup of tea, and a BBQ, what a way to live i say.

Its just lovely to throw everything in the car on Friday night, and go away anywhere, and come back feeling refreshed on Sunday night if u have to go to work??

So if u know of anyshows on let us know, we do like the v/w makes, i understand theres a place in kent i think that rebuild them, does anyone know that for sure

Have a good weekend, and enjoy the holidays

cheers

Debs ang gang from Eastbourne