Compact Vans for Tall People?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Compact Vans for Tall People?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Erutan
    Participant

As the title states, I’m looking for something compact that will accommodate my 1,95 m (6’5″).

I’m still in the early stages of planning, and I would love to hear, which vans other tall people have decided on and your experiences with your specific van.
    I haven’t yet gone out to look at the specific cars listed below in real life – I’m still gathering intel.

I’m not planning on living full time in the van, but it’s my hope that I can go on road trips for weeks or maybe 1-2 months in the car, though I’ll likely be spending most of my time outside the car and only use it for cooking, sleeping and staying in in bad weather.

Initially, I prioritized headroom and ended up looking at the tallest Mercedes Sprinter. But it’s both huge and expensive. So after a lot of rethinking and bargaining with myself, I’ve come to the conclusion that what I need is something that will provide enough room for me to sleep comfortably while still being compact, and then headroom will be a secondary factor – though not unimportant.

So looking through the vans available in Denmark, I’ve narrowed it down to
    – Ford Transit Custom L1H2 (total length: 4,97 m / load length: 2,54 m / load height: 1,78 m).
    – Renault Master L1H2 (total length: 5,07 m / load length: 2,58 m / load height: 1,89 m).

The extra height of the Master does sound nice – especially considering that some will be lost to insulation, floor and roof. But I’ve heard that the Custom is much nicer to drive and that it handles “off-road” better.
    I’m not planning on going off-road, but there’s a high possibility of me ending up on some less than ideal forest roads.

What are your thoughts and experiences about van life for tall people? And what other vans would you recommend that I look into?

deanneivory
    Participant

Between the Ford Transit Custom L1H2 and the Renault Master L1H2, both options seem viable. The Renault Master’s additional height could indeed be beneficial after accounting for the space lost to insulation and interior fittings, offering that bit more comfort and room to move around. However, the driving experience and vehicle handling, especially in less ideal conditions like forest roads, are crucial factors too. The Ford Transit’s reputation for a more pleasant driving experience and better handling off the beaten path might tip the scales in its favor, especially if you prioritize the ease of travel and maneuverability over the slight increase in headroom the Master offers.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.