Cheaper fuel

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Cheaper fuel

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Tim3
    Participant

Has anyone tried running a 1990 Ducato 2.5 D on vegetable oil? We have a Ducato based Burstner which we are taking to Europe next year and are looking at budget stretching options. Apparently Bosch injector pumps are fine with it but the percentage used has to be varied depending on the temperature. Not sure what the Ducato has fitted.

I believe this is perfectly legal up to 2500 litres per annum in the UK from the limited research I have done, after which it must be declared as a fuel and duty paid. Is this the same in Europe or does it change from country to country?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Our fuel duty rates in the UK
    Our fuel duty rates in the UK are disgustingly high (as with much of Western Europe). In a time when energy is a big issues, governments should be encouraging resourceful people who find alternative fuels. Not discouraging them by charging high duty taxes and making life difficult, by making them feel like criminals.

If the police smell you burning veg oil in your car, they are sure to stop you and check all of your paperwork.

2. big Chris
    Here in Australia LPG is currently relaitively expensive at 60c a litre. 30p in UK Pounds. That’s of no use to you back in Blighty, but having lived 30+ years in the UK I still can’t get over how pi$$ cheap gas is here.

3. Hi Tim

Something to

Hi Tim

Something to consider is the cost of vegetable oil.  It has risen a great deal in the UK in the last year.  I used to run my Mercedes Sprinter on 50/50 diesel/veg oil, but veg oil was 50p per litre.  When I glanced in the supermarket the other day it was over £1 per litre.  I believe the supermarkets used to offer veg oil as a ‘lose leader’ product:  a product that makes no profit as its a price people keep in mind when comparing supermarkets.  Think of the baked beans wars a few years ago.

Maybe it is no longer a lose leader product for them.

When I took my Sprinter to Europe I didn’t use veg oil, as it was actually more expensive to buy from the supermarket than diesel.