Cheap DIY insulation

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Cheap DIY insulation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    furoido
    Participant

Hi guys!

Need you help!

I live in Japan and recently bought a little 660cc Daihatsu Hijet that I’m using as a campervan. Basically all I have done is fold the back seats down and put a couple of floor storage units that also couple as a bed.

I’ve just completed a 5,000 mile trip to western Japan and back and I was very comfortable in her.

If any of you are interested, I’m slowly putting my diary of the trip into blog here:
    myjapantravels.wordpress.com

However, we’ve now got the summer coming, which in Japan is incredibly hot and humid and beyond covering the back windows in mosquito netting so I can sleep with the windows open, I really am going to have to do some kind of insulating to the interior or I am going to cook at night!!

The thing is that my budget is VERY limited, I have ZERO mechanical or DIY skills or knowledge, and I don’t want to spend money on expensive insulating material. I also don’t want to touch the body/panelling in any way (my insurance doesn’t allow it – a Japanese peculiarity?), so whatever I put up needs to be ‘non-permanently’ attached to existing surfaces (i.e. taped, rather than nailed or bolted).

Can anybody suggest effective DIY ways to insulate using standard household equipment? I was thinking of something like cheap bubble wrap glued to some kind of reflective aluminium sheeting such as the stuff they use for car window sun shades and taping the it all to the roof and sides of the van…no idea if that would be in any way effective, though…also, the bubble wrap obviously wouldn’t work for the flooring (and I did notice the engine radiates huge amounts of heat up through the floor and it takes forever for the heat to fully dissipate)…

Any ideas, suggestions, etc no matter how unusual would be extremely welcome!!

Thanks!

lisawilliams123
    Participant

hey furoido,you can visit
    hey furoido,you can visit http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv-roof-repair.php for all diy solutions about your camper’s roof problems.

lisawilliams123
    Participant

hey furoido,you can visit
    hey furoido,you can visit http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv-roof-repair.php for all diy solutions about your camper’s roof problems.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.