Carpentry/ surf van kit out

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Carpentry/ surf van kit out

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rileywalker10
    Participant

Hi there, I am a 2nd year carpentry apprentice in vic, and I have recently bought a Mercedes vito. I was wondering if anyone could help with some ideas with kitting it out. As it has two barn doors and two side doors I want to put two big drawers out the back and one out each side door.. I am planning on making a ply box then fitting the ply drawers inside of that. Can anyone suggest some good runners for the drawers that are rated to 100kg and not stupidly expensive? Also, any tips on fitting the runners? Is 17mm form ply enough to fix these runners to? And if I was to put 12mm structural ply over the top for a bed, would that provide enough support?
    Cheers, Riley.

ianr
    Participant

Sounds like a nice project. I
    Sounds like a nice project. I’ve done a similar thing with my vivaro. It’s a compromise with carrying my tools and having enough living/sleeping space.
    I built a bed first out of 11/4 ” softwood clad in 1/2″m.r. mdf then built around that. My tools are accessed through the rear doors and also stored under the bed.
    I’ve been shopfitting for donkeys years so I know what I need to carry tool wise.
    I can stay in the van quite comfortable for weeks on end now. There’s room for a microwave, t.v. stove, clothes storage, cool box and me……
    Showering is taken care of at local gyms or leisure centres where I’m working.

ianr
    Participant

Sounds like a nice project. I
    Sounds like a nice project. I’ve done a similar thing with my vivaro. It’s a compromise with carrying my tools and having enough living/sleeping space.
    I built a bed first out of 11/4 ” softwood clad in 1/2″m.r. mdf then built around that. My tools are accessed through the rear doors and also stored under the bed.
    I’ve been shopfitting for donkeys years so I know what I need to carry tool wise.
    I can stay in the van quite comfortable for weeks on end now. There’s room for a microwave, t.v. stove, clothes storage, cool box and me……
    Showering is taken care of at local gyms or leisure centres where I’m working.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.