Calorifier

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Calorifier

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Merc609d
    Participant

Evening all, I’ve just bought a 55 litre Surecal Calorifier to fit to my 1989 609d. I’m planning to plumb it to the van’s engine cooling system as well as using the 230v hook up option.

However, a friend has said this will put a strain on my van’s water pump. Is this the case? Has anyone fitted one and can offer some advice?

Many thanks!!

Tim

Darren

Hi
    Hi

I’ve got a Surecal Calorifier, fitted to my 2002 Sprinter 311 CDi.
    I’ve done over 30,000 miles and never had a problem. The calorifier is about one third of the way back in the van.
    It’s a bit of a task fitting it, but we love having ours.
    I’ve got the 240 on the hookup, which is also great.

Merc609d
    Participant

Hi Darren
    Hi Darren

Thanks for the response

How many litres is your cal??

Does it get the water hot using just the hot water element??

Tim

Darren

Mine is 22 litres.
    Mine is 22 litres.

On the mains hookup is uses the hot water element, but it uses the hot water from the engine when driving along.
    Only takes about 20 minutes for boiling hot water from the engine.
    Probably less from the hookup.
    They are very efficient.

Merc609d
    Participant

Thanks Darren
    Thanks Darren

Do you have any pics of how you plumbed yours in??

Darren

Here are some pictures of me

Here are some pictures of me fitting the calorifier

Here are the parts to make the T sections to tap into the heating system

The parts are assembled, using some of the hose that will run to the calorifier

On the left, at the back is one of the pipes I will cut. The other is on the right. These pipes go from the cooling system to the matrix behind the dashboard, and back.

Cutting the hose neatly using a pipe cutter. Catching the coolant in the tub.

The calorifier completed assembled, the black hoses from the engine coming in on the right. The blue hose is the water feed from the external water tank, going into the water pump. This T’s to the calorifier and the kitchen. Out of the calorifier comes the hot water which goes to the kitchen. I used 15mm push fit connections from the calorifier, which then converts to 12mm motorhome pipe. I wouldn’t bother with the 12mm next time, just stick to 15mm. The red expansion tank in the foreground, and the water pump to the right. A seat unit lives over the top of this, and it’s all hidden away.

Close up.

Merc609d
    Participant

Thanks
    Great picture, Darren. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

I’ve decided to swap the 55 litre one for a 22 litre, on the strength of what many people have said.

Will keep you posted on progress.

I take it the pump is placed before the water’s heated?? Do you use any other pump, maybe after the heating’s done or just the one?

Kind regards

Tim

Darren

No problem Tim, glad it
    No problem Tim, glad it helped.

22 litre is mine for most people. You would only need bigger if you had lots of people staying in a large vehicle.

The output of the Pump is a T, with half going into the hot water tank, and half going to the kitchen/bathroom cold water, where it’s a T again.
    I only have the one pump, it’s more than powerful enough, even pushing the water through the hot water tank. It’s the standard Shurflo pump, which cost about £60.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.