buying my first campervan/van to convert myself

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van buying my first campervan/van to convert myself

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Benomahony
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m a 22 year old looking to buy and convert my first campervan to take out to Europe or further for as long as possible! So i’ve been trying to figure out the largest vehicles I can drive under 3.5 tonnes..
    being a joiner by trade i’d ideally like to be able to convert it myself, rather than buy a ready-converted van, and have a budget of about 2-3 grand. I’ve been looking at mercedes 208/210/310/410 aswell as various horseboxes and luton vans (most amount of space under 3.5 tonnes)
    does anyone have any other suggestions as to suitable vehicles? size doesnt particularly matter but the bigger the better!been something i’ve been trying to do for a while but just havent had the time. older mercedes seem to have a decent track record for running well on a high mileage, does this go for any other manufacturers?

also, i’ve been trying to gage a rough price for insurance, can anyone tell me whether i’m better off insuring myself on a van or a campervan?and who seems to be the best value insurance companies?

any help would be much appreciated, cheers for your time

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

I think you’ll find the Mercedes models a good deal. They are very reliable and easy to get the parts for when something goes wrong. The dead and dying Sprinters are all shipped off towards Poland and Russia – while the older ‘square-nosed’ models go to Africa – so there are plenty of parts in more remote areas. They do hold their value though, so I have tended to go for the rugged and slightly larger Iveco Daily van as they come cheaper – although the spares are ridiculously costly…

Size-wise, you might need to consider the practicalities of driving a larger vehicle. I’ve converted a couple of full-sized coaches in the past and toured Europe in one – fabulous, but I got some sticky moments with unmarked low bridges, overhanging trees, balconies and narrow fishing villages – and I’m an HGV driver by trade. For touring a high-top Transit / Sprinter / Daily / etc size van of 3 metres tall and about 6 metres long is perfect in my experience. They’re big enough for months of comfortable living, economical, easy to drive and park – even in town for shopping or seeing the sights.

The screen on this site flashes with adverts for camper insurance that will quote you for a possible conversion – or try eVan or similar for private use van cover.

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

I think you’ll find the Mercedes models a good deal. They are very reliable and easy to get the parts for when something goes wrong. The dead and dying Sprinters are all shipped off towards Poland and Russia – while the older ‘square-nosed’ models go to Africa – so there are plenty of parts in more remote areas. They do hold their value though, so I have tended to go for the rugged and slightly larger Iveco Daily van as they come cheaper – although the spares are ridiculously costly…

Size-wise, you might need to consider the practicalities of driving a larger vehicle. I’ve converted a couple of full-sized coaches in the past and toured Europe in one – fabulous, but I got some sticky moments with unmarked low bridges, overhanging trees, balconies and narrow fishing villages – and I’m an HGV driver by trade. For touring a high-top Transit / Sprinter / Daily / etc size van of 3 metres tall and about 6 metres long is perfect in my experience. They’re big enough for months of comfortable living, economical, easy to drive and park – even in town for shopping or seeing the sights.

The screen on this site flashes with adverts for camper insurance that will quote you for a possible conversion – or try eVan or similar for private use van cover.

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Bluebird
    Participant

Size matters
    Hello there

Good luck

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.