buying a camping car from a family member

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van buying a camping car from a family member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    JEANSTEVE
    Participant

how can we transfer the ownership of a camping car which is now owned by my daughter who lives in France. We want to continue to store it in France and will be using it regularly during the year. The reason we want to own it outright and have insurance in our names is that my daughter is not happy being the insurer and we the occasional drivers. If we own it, we can decide whether to let someone else use the camping car as an occasional driver.

If this is not possible in France, could we export it to England and own it there? We live permanently in Canada and do not have an address in Europe except for my daughter’s.

Can anyone help us?

mgroadster
    Participant

As far as I remember…There
    As far as I remember…There are one or two things you need to do.
    You both have to go the Prefecture in the area where Your daughter lives.(This is the main place that deals with most administrative registrations).
    At the prefecture you take with you the “Carte gris” (registration sheet)and you also have to fill out a form and then get a clearance letter (from the same prefecture) to say there is no outstanding debt on it.You also put the details of the new owner on there etc. (I’m pretty sure a passport sized photo was involved too).
    You then pay your money and wait for quite a while in the waiting area.
    Eventually when your number is called, you go and collect from another desk the new registration papers.You then go to the number plate shop (most are conveniently placed near the prefectures)to get your new plates made.
    Thats how it used to be, and may have changed, but I doubt it as the French like their Fonctionaires and ways of doing things.
    I bought a Saab 9000 turbo off a French Gendarme and I can’t remember how I did it now,but I managed to keep the number plate as it had 9000 on it.
    HOWEVER, I do know that it’s a complete ball-ache.
    Doubt if you can do it online these days but hey…You never know, but again the french love their civil servants who can sit at an empty desk all day doing hardly anything! P.S You will need an address in France. I borrowed one! LOL.
    PPS I’ve just remebered, you only have new plates if the car was registered in another area and the area code on the plate has to be changed. If the address you supply is in the same area, you keep the original plate. Can’t you use your daughters address?

mgroadster
    Participant

You both have to go the Prefecture in the area where Your daughter lives.(This is the main place that deals with most administrative registrations).
    At the prefecture you take with you the “Carte gris” (registration sheet)and you also have to fill out a form and then get a clearance letter (from the same prefecture) to say there is no outstanding debt on it.You also put the details of the new owner on there etc. (I’m pretty sure a passport sized photo was involved too).
    Eventually when your number is called, you go and collect from another desk the new registration papers.You then go to the number plate shop (most are conveniently placed near the prefectures)to get your new plates made.
    Thats how it used to be, and may have changed, but I doubt it as the French like their Fonctionaires and ways of doing things.
    I bought a Saab 9000 turbo off a French Gendarme and I can’t remember how I did it now,but I managed to keep the number plate as it had 9000 on it.
    Doubt if you can do it online these days but hey…You never know, but again the french love their civil servants who can sit at an empty desk all day doing hardly anything! P.S You will need an address in France. I borrowed one! LOL.
    PPS I’ve just remebered, you only have new plates if the car was registered in another area and the area code on the plate has to be changed. If the address you supply is in the same area, you keep the original plate. Can’t you use your daughters address?

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

buying a camping car in France
    thanks so much for the info! we plan on going over this fall and hopefully take over ownership of the camper. We will use our daughter’s address and so won’t need new number plates.

thanks again.

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

thanks so much for the info! we plan on going over this fall and hopefully take over ownership of the camper. We will use our daughter’s address and so won’t need new number plates.

thanks again.

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

thanks again.

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

thanks again.

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

camping car storage near Annecy France
    Not being able to speak French, and living in Canada, I am having difficulty finding a safe storage facility for my Hymer camping car which stays in France. Right now it is parked at my daughter’s home near Annecy but this arrangement cannot continue and I need to find a storage facility near there.

Does anyone know of any?

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

Not being able to speak French, and living in Canada, I am having difficulty finding a safe storage facility for my Hymer camping car which stays in France. Right now it is parked at my daughter’s home near Annecy but this arrangement cannot continue and I need to find a storage facility near there.

Does anyone know of any?

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

Does anyone know of any?

JEANSTEVE
    Participant

Does anyone know of any?

mgroadster
    Participant

You might be succesful asking
    You might be succesful asking on an “ex pats” forum for France. I’m sure many will know places or have a space they may rent out.

mgroadster
    Participant

You might be succesful asking
    You might be succesful asking on an “ex pats” forum for France. I’m sure many will know places or have a space they may rent out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.