This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Lady Hammy 3 years, 2 months ago.
October 17, 2016 at 8:38 am #107506
I’m a fellow camper van owner and also do software development. Since I’ve been doing trips around Europe I’ve recognized a lack of online resources that help me find beautiful spots to park and sleep in areas I don’t know well.
There are of course great sites like furgovw.org or camperstar. In general I’ve observed a couple of issues with most of the existing sites:
– Language support: furgovw.org only offers its information in spanish
– Restricted to certain area: Some sites offer great coverage in some parts (of Europe for example) but are really not used at all anywhere else
– No community functionality: Rating of camping spots are rarely included.
– Outdated: Some platforms out there haven’t been used or updated in years
So I have been thinking about building a platform that addresses the following points:
– Mobile friendly: Built out both a website and an app
– Easy offline usage: option to download directions
– Multilanguage support
– Rating system
– *Work together* with existing sites to gather a more comprehensive camp spot coverage
Since I’m still in the planning phase I would be glad about any feedback.
– Would you use such a platform or are there plenty already? If so, which do you use?
– What would be the most important features of such a platform?
– What are your concerns with platforms like these?
Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Happy about any response on this. If you have questions don’t hesitate to ask!
@wltnsmmlr on twitter.October 29, 2016 at 5:52 am #113980
This is a fab idea – we are new to the camper life and would love info about safe spaces to stay overnight. I am a CC club member, but have been surprised at the lack of options which are all fairly expensive.
I would like to know whether the spot was public or privately owned, and the option for other travellers to add a review would be good. Also the date added and a link to google maps?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.