Best underseal?

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Best underseal?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Fizzle
    Participant

Hi, I have a T2 american import which has never had any underseal, underneath the camper is clean. Would anyone be able to help or advise on the best underseal to use? Thanks

stuart
    Participant

Im not sure about anything
    Im not sure about anything specific to VWs but I have always been told by friends in the motor trade that underseal is a bad idea. It can crack and allow water to trap under the seal causing rust. I have used waxoil on a Land Rover which seemed to do a good job (although old Land Rovers have solid chasis which are a bit different from most vans). Another car and land rover dealer I knew swore by old engine oil, but old engine oil can cause skin cancer and is probably a bad idea.

stuart
    Participant

Im not sure about anything specific to VWs but I have always been told by friends in the motor trade that underseal is a bad idea. It can crack and allow water to trap under the seal causing rust. I have used waxoil on a Land Rover which seemed to do a good job (although old Land Rovers have solid chasis which are a bit different from most vans). Another car and land rover dealer I knew swore by old engine oil, but old engine oil can cause skin cancer and is probably a bad idea.

stuart
    Participant

stewart1979
    Participant

you’d be best getting it wax
    you’d be best getting it wax oiled

stewart1979
    Participant

stewart1979
    Participant

bright spark
    Participant

it used to be possible to buy
    it used to be possible to buy some stuff called “black wax” which I used to like, seemed like a mixture of both, get any box sections done too if you can, I used to heat up waxoyl, (makes it thinner) and spray it inside hollow sections at high pressure so that the “mist” from it would get pretty much everywhere

bright spark
    Participant

it used to be possible to buy some stuff called “black wax” which I used to like, seemed like a mixture of both, get any box sections done too if you can, I used to heat up waxoyl, (makes it thinner) and spray it inside hollow sections at high pressure so that the “mist” from it would get pretty much everywhere

bright spark
    Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.