Being wakened by police

Home Forum topic General Chit Chat Being wakened by police

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Defender110
    Participant

Hi I’m new to site but have been stealth camping in towns for a while now, i have a defender comercil converted in the back as camper no side windows, i usually use council car parks. Recently I have been knocked up in be middle of the night by the police, the usual question is what am I doing. My reply is I was sleeping what’s the problem . They then ak for my details and then after checking I’m not a escaped convict they leave, can anyone advise me to what the legal situation is , can they wake you up just cause your parked up

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH, yes they can. Anyone
    TBH, yes they can. Anyone kipping in a council car pk (or anywhere for that matter) could be of interest to them. Before I converted my LWB high top Transit, I was using it for long distance courier work, which involved me sleeping overnight in it. I used to park up with lorries etc on trading estates, but sometimes as they start up at circa 4am, one night I decided to park in a quiet area in a village.(curtains round the cab windows).
    bang, bang, bang on the door at about midnight, and 4! policemen. Asked me who I was, what I was doing etc and once proved, they went.
    They told me there had been a spate of burglaries in the area, and needed to check me out.
    For all they know, you could be a wanted man, and that’s another reason they do it, if the vehicle doesn’t look quite like “the norm” for sleeping in.

mgroadster
    Participant

TBH, yes they can. Anyone
    TBH, yes they can. Anyone kipping in a council car pk (or anywhere for that matter) could be of interest to them. Before I converted my LWB high top Transit, I was using it for long distance courier work, which involved me sleeping overnight in it. I used to park up with lorries etc on trading estates, but sometimes as they start up at circa 4am, one night I decided to park in a quiet area in a village.(curtains round the cab windows).
    bang, bang, bang on the door at about midnight, and 4! policemen. Asked me who I was, what I was doing etc and once proved, they went.
    They told me there had been a spate of burglaries in the area, and needed to check me out.
    For all they know, you could be a wanted man, and that’s another reason they do it, if the vehicle doesn’t look quite like “the norm” for sleeping in.

Owelly
    Participant

Plod.
    We’ve only been disturbed by the BiB once. We were parked in a remote layby and had just settled for the night. It would be about 10pm, the kids were asleep so it was pointless for us to be awake!
    I heard a car pull up behind us and it was sat with the engine ticking over for about five minutes, then I heard footsteps and a knock on the drivers door window. Plod asked the what I was doing, where was I from and who was in the van. I answered his questions and passed him my wallet which contained my drivers licence, bank cards, work pass, etc. he asked how long we intended to stay. I said we’d be there “until we’d eaten our breakfast unless that was a problem?”
    He seemed happy with us and off he went.
    I’m happy to play ball as it’s us that are out of the ordinary.

Owelly
    Participant

Plod.
    We’ve only been disturbed by the BiB once. We were parked in a remote layby and had just settled for the night. It would be about 10pm, the kids were asleep so it was pointless for us to be awake!
    I heard a car pull up behind us and it was sat with the engine ticking over for about five minutes, then I heard footsteps and a knock on the drivers door window. Plod asked the what I was doing, where was I from and who was in the van. I answered his questions and passed him my wallet which contained my drivers licence, bank cards, work pass, etc. he asked how long we intended to stay. I said we’d be there “until we’d eaten our breakfast unless that was a problem?”
    He seemed happy with us and off he went.
    I’m happy to play ball as it’s us that are out of the ordinary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.