Battery charging question

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas Battery charging question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    philmoonraker
    Participant

Hi folks. Hope everyone is enjoying themselves and getting the most out their ‘vans , I know I am.

I have a battery charging question : I have a second leisure battery fitted, charged by a split charge relay wired to the starter battery. I am fitting a third leisure battery and want to charge this off the engine starter battery as well, or by some other means. Is there a best / easy way to do this? Electrickery is not my strong point, so any tips welcome.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

This is quite easy. You need to connect the positive connections of the leisure batteries together, and the negative connections of the leisure batteries together. You are effectively making a leisure battery bank, from two batteries.
    The existing charger will then charge the two of them together. And you leisure equipment will use the power from the battery bank together.
    Very simply.

To connect them together I would recommend at least 10mm cable. Hopefully your battery terminals will allow this to happen easily.
    I would also fuse the positive connection between the batteries. A mega fuse is great for this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mega-Fuse-100a-Yellow-12v-24v-32v-100amp-amps-Car-Auto-Marine-Truck-Van-/121366118873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c41fc01d9

Darren

Hi
    Hi

This is quite easy. You need to connect the positive connections of the leisure batteries together, and the negative connections of the leisure batteries together. You are effectively making a leisure battery bank, from two batteries.
    The existing charger will then charge the two of them together. And you leisure equipment will use the power from the battery bank together.
    Very simply.

To connect them together I would recommend at least 10mm cable. Hopefully your battery terminals will allow this to happen easily.
    I would also fuse the positive connection between the batteries. A mega fuse is great for this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mega-Fuse-100a-Yellow-12v-24v-32v-100amp-amps-Car-Auto-Marine-Truck-Van-/121366118873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c41fc01d9

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.