back seat/rock ‘n roll bed with seat belts fitted for kids

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas back seat/rock ‘n roll bed with seat belts fitted for kids

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Terra79
    Participant

Hi
    my partner and I have just bought a 1985 T25 campervan but the rock’n roll bed on the back is not in working condition so we are thinking to get a new one, but we need a seat with fitted seat belts, or one where it’s possible to fit them, in order to put our child’s car seat in there. We had a look around at some websites, but fitting the seat belts seem to be the main problem and we are really a bit confused about that; do we need to fit them into the vehicle body or the actual seat? Has anyone had the same problem, lived the same situation?
    Many thanks to anyone answering!

Teresa

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Teresa
    It is possible to

Hi Teresa

It is possible to fit the seat belts to the seat, as I have seen this on expensive campervan seats.
    If you are confident engineers/mechanics then it’s worth considering doing yourself, ensuring everything is very secure.
    Otherwise I would find an expert.
    The law is quite grey about seat belts. Essentially the only check made will be done during an MOT, where they check it clicks properly, and there is no rust around the seat belt mountings.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Teresa
    It is possible to

Hi Teresa

It is possible to fit the seat belts to the seat, as I have seen this on expensive campervan seats.
    If you are confident engineers/mechanics then it’s worth considering doing yourself, ensuring everything is very secure.
    The law is quite grey about seat belts. Essentially the only check made will be done during an MOT, where they check it clicks properly, and there is no rust around the seat belt mountings.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Teresa
    It is possible to

Hi Teresa

Terra79
    Participant

Thanks!
    do you know any garage/ mechanic working with VW in Cambridge area by any chance??

Terra79
    Participant

Thanks!
    do you know any garage/ mechanic working with VW in Cambridge area by any chance??

Terra79
    Participant

Thanks!

clair
    Participant

seatbelts
    Hi Terra,we had the same problem with our van. It has a home made bed with lap belts which is so comfy so we decided to keep it, also crash tesed rock and roll beds with seatbelts cost a small fortune. We needed 1 seat with a 3 point harness for a childs seat so we found a single van seat with a fitted seat belt and then bolted it to the floor behind the passengers seat,this was ok with the garage and my daughter likes to be sat facing the rear.Although i have recently read that seats shouldnt be rear facing? We are happy that the seat is safe and secure and it cost alot less than trying to find a bed with seat belts,hope this helps clair

clair
    Participant

seatbelts
    Hi Terra,we had the same problem with our van. It has a home made bed with lap belts which is so comfy so we decided to keep it, also crash tesed rock and roll beds with seatbelts cost a small fortune. We needed 1 seat with a 3 point harness for a childs seat so we found a single van seat with a fitted seat belt and then bolted it to the floor behind the passengers seat,this was ok with the garage and my daughter likes to be sat facing the rear.Although i have recently read that seats shouldnt be rear facing? We are happy that the seat is safe and secure and it cost alot less than trying to find a bed with seat belts,hope this helps clair

clair
    Participant

seatbelts

Jane

seatbelts
    Hi,

I had similar worries. Personally I decided that I preferred the seats to be crash tested etc (for my own peace of mind). Having a Mazda bongo this made it an easier decision to keep the original seats to use as a bed (not as confy but hey ho). Anyway, after all my research I found that the beds with seat belts are indeed more expensive, but not by vast amounts. Also rear facing seats do not need seat belts in this country but do in Europe. Don’t know if that helps but hope so.

Jane

seatbelts
    Hi,

I had similar worries. Personally I decided that I preferred the seats to be crash tested etc (for my own peace of mind). Having a Mazda bongo this made it an easier decision to keep the original seats to use as a bed (not as confy but hey ho). Anyway, after all my research I found that the beds with seat belts are indeed more expensive, but not by vast amounts. Also rear facing seats do not need seat belts in this country but do in Europe. Don’t know if that helps but hope so.

Jane

seatbelts
    Hi,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.