another newbie needs advice on what to buy

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van another newbie needs advice on what to buy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Darryll and Mandy.
    Participant

We are in need of help and advice. I know you lot out there must get fed up of this being asked by us newbie’s but what type of camper should we buy?
    We look at the ads and think everything is great and change our mind every time we see another.
    There is so much to choose from.
    We would use the camper for touring Britain and use it quite a lot; it will also be used to stay in a small wooded area for up to three weeks at a time. So we would need it to be comfortable, with shower and toilet.
    We also like the idea of an L shape or U shaped lounge as this seems more appropriate to our tastes.
    We have seen two types of van that we really like one is the Merc sprinter and the other is a kon-tiki. Or are we heading in the wrong direction.
    Which would suit us better any advice or information would be greatfuly received?
    Thanks Darryll and Mandy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. If you are going to live in
    If you are going to live in it for long periods of time I would go for a Motorhome.
    It sound’s like you know what you want.
    A motorhome, with shower & toilet.
    L shaped seating generally gives more storage, but not that many more seats, as it’s hard to sit in the L corner.
    Will you want solar power? Will you always be able to have a mains hookup for power?
    When you are staying in the wooded area will you have mains power? If not you need to ensure you can live OK on gas and 12v. Most motorhomes allow this.

Driving a motorhome as your only vehicle is OK. I have a medium wheel base Mercedes Sprinter campervan as my only vehicle.
    It parks OK in supermarkets, but you have to consider your spot a little.
    Height barriers are few and far between.
    My van does 30+ MPG, which I am happy with, as I dont drive lots of miles.
    A motorhome is likely to do the same, assuming it has a diesel engine.
    My van is turbo charged, so it goes quite quickly. This is something to consider if you want to get around quickly.

1. Darryll and Mandy. March 26, 2010 at 9:37 pm

thanks Darren
      Hi
      Think we have made up our minds and are going for a motorhome
      we have a portable sola panal for the batteries and will be using a generator for 240 vlt
      we thought we would ask advice as its a lot of money to invest in a van and we dont want to get it wrong
      thanks for the help will let you know what we get
      thanks
      Darryll

2. Darryll and Mandy. March 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm

thanks Darren
    Think we are leaning towards the motorhome type as this seems to have more space which may be better for longer stays.The down side to this is it may become our only vehicle so are they ok in that respect.
    thanks again Darryll

3. It’s very hard to say what is
    It’s very hard to say what is best suited to you.
    You already know you want a shower and toilet.
    Are you looking at motorhomes? I.e. with a big square back end rather than a van shape?
    Mercedes Sprinters are very good vehicles. Very reliable. Kon-tiki also are very good.