Ambulette High-Top Build Questions

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Ambulette High-Top Build Questions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vanlife
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I purchased a 2003 Ford E-350 for my conversion. I was having a really hard time finding anything at all with a high-top within my budget, ended up going this route as I found one with low miles and from a warm climate (no rust) and I live in the Northeast. Anyways, I am still early in the build, taking down the old and preparing the van for insulation, flooring and so forth. The high-top is two pieces, and in between the two are steel supports, four of them, that run across the van and two that run length-wise.

Does anyone know what these beams are for? I don’t believe they are for structural support in case of impact (rollover) because they are bolted on, and quite lightly.

I’m considering a couple of options:

1) Remove all together

2) Remove the center-two beams that run across, make some headroom in some areas but not others.

3) Raising the entire structure by un-bolting the current structure and placing along the rim 1″ square steel length-wise along the van and bolting it all back together.

4) I have a friend that fabricates steel, might ask him if he’d make an entire new support system for me of new dimensions, running closer to the exterior fiberglass.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great start to your conversion, great choice of vehicle.
    I think that structure is to give some rigidity to the roof, to stop it popping in or out, rather than an roll-cage.
    I would go with option 3. Keep it is it is, and raise it up.

Or, go with option 4, if your friend is willing.

Darren

Hi
    Hi

Great start to your conversion, great choice of vehicle.
    I think that structure is to give some rigidity to the roof, to stop it popping in or out, rather than an roll-cage.
    I would go with option 3. Keep it is it is, and raise it up.

Or, go with option 4, if your friend is willing.

vanlife
    Participant

Darren,
    Darren,

Thank you!! On all counts, especially as I’m notorious for second-guessing myself so I appreciate the thumbs-up on vehicle choice and work so far. I’ve got a late start today, going to to see just how effective I can be at releasing and raising the structure… then off to find some stock steel I hope 🙂

Further opinions/comments definitely welcomed still…

Cheers!

vanlife
    Participant

Darren,
    Darren,

Thank you!! On all counts, especially as I’m notorious for second-guessing myself so I appreciate the thumbs-up on vehicle choice and work so far. I’ve got a late start today, going to to see just how effective I can be at releasing and raising the structure… then off to find some stock steel I hope 🙂

Further opinions/comments definitely welcomed still…

Cheers!

vanlife
    Participant

Update… can I get another
    Update… can I get another opinion?

I went with (3) for the day. I unbolted the cage, bought some stock, 1″ square steel to use to raise it up and cut it into appropriate 3″ and 4″ lengths to fit beneath the existing feet of the cage.

1) The cage is no precision piece of engineering. One of the legs is longer than all others by, I’d guess, ~ 1/8″. I have to cut this one off if I raise it because otherwise the front-left corner jams in to the roof, hard. I think this is okay, this is the only leg that does not have a twin on the opposite side… okay, so that’s fair.

2) Putting in new bolts or self-tapping screws. I choose one or the other based on access, preferring bolts where I can. I’ll be able to get at all but one of the feet, maybe I can come up with something to make this work still.

Taking a breath and examining the whole outfit, I cannot imagine that this served anything more than to hold up the interior shell wall. It’s 1″+ clearance to the roof at all times, and most feet had only one bolt/screw, I think two had two in them.

I’m back on the fence after today, thinking I should just take the whole thing out and build a new interior cage out of wood to hold up my roof and insulation. Before going that route was hoping to solicit one or two more opinions. The only way I can get the cage out is by cutting it out with the angle grinder and that’s a one-way road.

Aaron

vanlife
    Participant

Update… can I get another
    Update… can I get another opinion?

I went with (3) for the day. I unbolted the cage, bought some stock, 1″ square steel to use to raise it up and cut it into appropriate 3″ and 4″ lengths to fit beneath the existing feet of the cage.

1) The cage is no precision piece of engineering. One of the legs is longer than all others by, I’d guess, ~ 1/8″. I have to cut this one off if I raise it because otherwise the front-left corner jams in to the roof, hard. I think this is okay, this is the only leg that does not have a twin on the opposite side… okay, so that’s fair.

2) Putting in new bolts or self-tapping screws. I choose one or the other based on access, preferring bolts where I can. I’ll be able to get at all but one of the feet, maybe I can come up with something to make this work still.

Taking a breath and examining the whole outfit, I cannot imagine that this served anything more than to hold up the interior shell wall. It’s 1″+ clearance to the roof at all times, and most feet had only one bolt/screw, I think two had two in them.

I’m back on the fence after today, thinking I should just take the whole thing out and build a new interior cage out of wood to hold up my roof and insulation. Before going that route was hoping to solicit one or two more opinions. The only way I can get the cage out is by cutting it out with the angle grinder and that’s a one-way road.

Aaron

vanlife
    Participant

Okay, last update on this! I
    Okay, last update on this! I spoke with one of the guys at Fiberine in California (http://www.fiberine.com) and he was very generous to donate some advice. He said that those cages are unique to ambulance vans for safety, and that it is, in fact, there in case of impact. So long as I’m not planning on any ambulance activities and getting stopped by the police while at it, I should be fine to remove it all together.

Whew! Frankly, that’s the answer I wanted. I’ll get another half-inch out of the van for myself and I get to cut this thing out and get moving again.

vanlife
    Participant

Okay, last update on this! I
    Okay, last update on this! I spoke with one of the guys at Fiberine in California (http://www.fiberine.com) and he was very generous to donate some advice. He said that those cages are unique to ambulance vans for safety, and that it is, in fact, there in case of impact. So long as I’m not planning on any ambulance activities and getting stopped by the police while at it, I should be fine to remove it all together.

Whew! Frankly, that’s the answer I wanted. I’ll get another half-inch out of the van for myself and I get to cut this thing out and get moving again.

Darren

Well done. Great bit of
    Well done. Great bit of research, that will save you loads of trouble and time.

Darren

Well done. Great bit of
    Well done. Great bit of research, that will save you loads of trouble and time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.