advice pease

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions advice pease

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    markh.h
    Participant

Hi to all 

just after some advice please

Im just about to start converting my Citroen relay Lwb 09 model i have done a basic conversion last year to see if we both enjoyed weekends away which we did so now to do it properly with the main problem being that i also need to use the van for work so need to keep the main floor area free within reason was thinking kitchen base units and worktop then utilise kitchen wall units along roof line (horizontal)

the main advice to start with is insulation i have seen multifoil products good u value but pricey ! also saw a product on ebay dacron polyester at a third of the cost not sure as cant find any reviews

Electrics

is normal household cable suitable for sockets and lights as we intend on using main hook up with a small garage enclosure fuse box complete with rcd etc

water dont think we will install fresh water supply as most sites have facilities

any advice on the above or anything else appreciated ! carpenter by trade so can aqquire most units etc

thanks again Mark

Darren

Hi Mark
    Hi Mark

Sounds like a good time to up your conversion.
    The dacron polyester seems like a good idea. For summer use this should be fine. The main problem will be keeping it stuck to the interior walls without it slipping down over time. Depending on how rigid the material is, glue and perhaps some battens should keep it in place.
    If you’re think winter us for your van then you’ll need the best insulation you can find.

In moving vehicles rigid household cable is not recommended as it breaks over time with the vibration. Flexible multistrand cable is recommended as it doesn’t weaken and break. However, many people go with the former household cable.
    Garage fusebox is fine.

In my first campervan I made a nice kitchen unit with the freshwater container and pump all built in. Kept it neat and tidy.
    Waste water just went outside via a waste pipe.

Good luck with your conversion

Darren

Hi Mark
    Hi Mark

Sounds like a good time to up your conversion.
    The dacron polyester seems like a good idea. For summer use this should be fine. The main problem will be keeping it stuck to the interior walls without it slipping down over time. Depending on how rigid the material is, glue and perhaps some battens should keep it in place.
    If you’re think winter us for your van then you’ll need the best insulation you can find.

In moving vehicles rigid household cable is not recommended as it breaks over time with the vibration. Flexible multistrand cable is recommended as it doesn’t weaken and break. However, many people go with the former household cable.
    Garage fusebox is fine.

In my first campervan I made a nice kitchen unit with the freshwater container and pump all built in. Kept it neat and tidy.
    Waste water just went outside via a waste pipe.

Good luck with your conversion

mufftydiver1960
    Participant

electrics
    you should NOT use houshold mains wireing cable for wireing a camper or caravan, the cores in grey house cable are single core and are not flexible , the vibration and movement in a van or camper cause these cores to fracture which causes a hot spot and possible fire risk, also any screw connectors in contact with single core tend to work loose with vibration again causing potential failure and fire risk. you SHOULD use arctic cable this is supple and each core is multi strand it comes in two colours blue or yellow. if its any help i purchased mine from Forest Electrical in mansfield which i fount to be cheaper than ebay and also local to me , i think they do mail order and they are in the phone book.

mufftydiver1960
    Participant

electrics
    you should NOT use houshold mains wireing cable for wireing a camper or caravan, the cores in grey house cable are single core and are not flexible , the vibration and movement in a van or camper cause these cores to fracture which causes a hot spot and possible fire risk, also any screw connectors in contact with single core tend to work loose with vibration again causing potential failure and fire risk. you SHOULD use arctic cable this is supple and each core is multi strand it comes in two colours blue or yellow. if its any help i purchased mine from Forest Electrical in mansfield which i fount to be cheaper than ebay and also local to me , i think they do mail order and they are in the phone book.

thegeek
    Participant

electrics
    I found something very interesting about DC electrics versus AC electrics.

In DC applications electrons move along the outside of the strand, therefore when multistrand / cores are used it is more efficient at handling amperage than solid core ‘house’ electrical cable.

In AC applications electrons move down the core of the wire, hence solid cores are used, making solid core more effective for AC.

thegeek
    Participant

electrics
    I found something very interesting about DC electrics versus AC electrics.

In DC applications electrons move along the outside of the strand, therefore when multistrand / cores are used it is more efficient at handling amperage than solid core ‘house’ electrical cable.

In AC applications electrons move down the core of the wire, hence solid cores are used, making solid core more effective for AC.

gavin hamill
    Participant

Hi could any one give me some information as to where I would find windows for my ldv maxus I’m looking one for the sliding door and one for the panel behind the drivers seat any information would be appreciated thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.