Advice on medium sized vans

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions Advice on medium sized vans

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    marlc0
    Participant

Hi,

I’m looking at getting a mediumish sized van for a conversion, something like a Vito/Transport/Vivaro.

What’s your opinions on these vans? Any sizes for them, for the interior/exterior dimensions?

Darren
    Keymaster

These are all good
    These are all good vans.
    Transporter and Vito are more expensive, but probably cheaper long term options due to reliability and re-sell value.
    Also consider the Toyota HiAce which is very reliable.
    Dimensions are similar. If you Google around you can find the van sizes.

Darren
    Keymaster

These are all good
    These are all good vans.
    Transporter and Vito are more expensive, but probably cheaper long term options due to reliability and re-sell value.

Darren
    Keymaster

These are all good
    These are all good vans.

ofb
    Participant

Toyota HiAce
    I had one for just over 2 years….great van …but a bit slow / under powered as a non turbo [ mine was a 2.4 / 2.5 ? non turbo on a 2000 plate ] made well and never had any rust at all

ofb
    Participant

Toyota HiAce
    I had one for just over 2 years….great van …but a bit slow / under powered as a non turbo [ mine was a 2.4 / 2.5 ? non turbo on a 2000 plate ] made well and never had any rust at all

ofb
    Participant

Toyota HiAce

Vixser
    Participant

Mercedes Vito
    I’ve got a 1999 (2.3 litre diesel) Vito, and a 2008 (2.1 litre diesel) Vito. Originally we were looking for a van that small enough to park in a multi story car park with ease so we could use it as a day to day vehicle if we needed to, and long enough that my 6’3 boyfriend would be able to lie down comfortably. The options were pretty much Vito or Transporter for size. We chose the Vito because the engines have pretty solid reputations and it had a tailgate model so we could open the back in the rain and be sheltered while taking off wet boots or hooking up, without traipsing all the mud inside.

Our 1999 Vito drives like an old lumbering van, but then she is 15 years old and didn’t look like she’d ever had a service when we got her. The old Vitos get a bit rusty, but they are sturdy and engines are pretty much bullet proof. On the inside, in the back, there is a 50cm deep cupboard/unit and worktop the full length of the drivers side, and a 3/4 width rock and roll bed. The bed is roughly 1.1m wide by 1.8m long when folded out, which puts one end against the back tailgate, and at the front end you still have space to sit on the edge of the bed and put your boots on.
    I think overall it’s about 2.4m long in the back by 1.75 at the widest point. I can check precisely if it’ll help.

Our 2008 van is currently being converted, but it’s pretty much the same except that because it’s newer and been looked after, it’s a much nicer drive, she pulls quite nicely and it was a pleasant surprise to find it is actually possible for a van to accelerate uphill!

Vixser
    Participant

Mercedes Vito
    I’ve got a 1999 (2.3 litre diesel) Vito, and a 2008 (2.1 litre diesel) Vito. Originally we were looking for a van that small enough to park in a multi story car park with ease so we could use it as a day to day vehicle if we needed to, and long enough that my 6’3 boyfriend would be able to lie down comfortably. The options were pretty much Vito or Transporter for size. We chose the Vito because the engines have pretty solid reputations and it had a tailgate model so we could open the back in the rain and be sheltered while taking off wet boots or hooking up, without traipsing all the mud inside.

Our 1999 Vito drives like an old lumbering van, but then she is 15 years old and didn’t look like she’d ever had a service when we got her. The old Vitos get a bit rusty, but they are sturdy and engines are pretty much bullet proof. On the inside, in the back, there is a 50cm deep cupboard/unit and worktop the full length of the drivers side, and a 3/4 width rock and roll bed. The bed is roughly 1.1m wide by 1.8m long when folded out, which puts one end against the back tailgate, and at the front end you still have space to sit on the edge of the bed and put your boots on.
    I think overall it’s about 2.4m long in the back by 1.75 at the widest point. I can check precisely if it’ll help.

Our 2008 van is currently being converted, but it’s pretty much the same except that because it’s newer and been looked after, it’s a much nicer drive, she pulls quite nicely and it was a pleasant surprise to find it is actually possible for a van to accelerate uphill!

Vixser
    Participant

Mercedes Vito

marlc0
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback,
    Thanks for all the feedback, Vixser, if you have pics of the new van, i’d like to see them, post-conversion.

I’m still edging towards the Transporter, purley because it seems like there are more options for it, plus they seem to be more common + cheaper.

marlc0
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback, Vixser, if you have pics of the new van, i’d like to see them, post-conversion.

I’m still edging towards the Transporter, purley because it seems like there are more options for it, plus they seem to be more common + cheaper.

marlc0
    Participant

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.