advice buying van please!

Home Forum topic Buying or selling a camper van advice buying van please!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mistafeesh
    Participant

Hi, We’re thinking of buying a long wheel base van to convert into a camper and could do with a bit of advice….

what sort of mileage and age should we be looking at to get a decent amount of life out of it?
    We’ve got a budget of about £2000. does that sound reasonable?
    one of the LDVs we’ve looked at runs on lpg. is that a good idea?

also mileage vs age – what’s more important??? eg seen a nice old schoolbus with very low mileage…

If its registered as a PCV does that mean its going to be more expensive to MOT?

thanks,

Dan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. LDV’s are good vehicles if
    LDV’s are good vehicles if well looked after. They are used greatly by the military and Royal Mail. They can be long lasting. They do have a tendency to leak water, generally around the windscreen. This can generally be fixed with silicon.
    Convoy is rear wheel drive, which is good for a big vehicle, and makes it easier to steer in tight situations, as you can turn the steering wheel more.
    The Convoy has gone through many different versions. Even though they all look very similar on the outside, the engine and gearbox varies. Originally a LDV engine, then up to 1996 a Peugeot engine, then after than a Ford Transit engine and gearbox. Convoys after 1997 are best, with the Transit engine and gearbox. These will last a long time, although don’t be put off by the 1996 models.

31,000 miles is very low, especially for the year. They are easy to fix, nice and basic.

£2,100 for a nicely converted van sounds like good value. If it’s what you want then I would consider buying it. The mileage is a little high, but if it drives well and shows signs of being looked after then it should be good. When test driving it listen for grinding or loud noises from the transmission, as any neglect of the transmission will be easiest to detect with your ear. Try and borrow a mechanical friend if possible.

The car maintenance course will help you greatly. Vans are generally easier than cars to work on, as everything is bigger and you have more space.

Let us know how you get along.

2. Hi Dan
    Ok. long wheel base

Hi Dan

Ok. long wheel base vehicles are all a bit different in length. If you want the longest possible, then the Mercedes Sprinter is popular, and the Iveco Daily is the longest. The Ford Transit is also quite long.
    Fiat Ducato, Peugot Boxer and Citreon Relay vans, although they come in LWB, there only a little longer than a MWB Sprinter.
    So if you want a medium sized can you can consider any, but if you want something really long consider the Sprinter or a Jumbo Transit or a Daily.

For £2,000 you can get a nice van.
    Newer vans have more electronics in the engine, which is a problem when they go wrong. However, they are much more powerful than old ones, so you get around quicker. Newer vans are also nicer to own as they are more refined, more comfortable, the doors are better etc.
    If you know a bit about mechanics and you intend doing long trips you might want an older van as the engine is more basic and easier to fix.

In terms of mileage, most vans are front wheel drive. This puts more strain on the transmission, so as a general rule they go for about 200,000 miles. These vans include Fiat, Citreon and Peugot.
    The Ford Transit, Iveco Daily and Mercedes Sprinter are rear wheel drive and go for longer. The Mercedes have very strong engines, probably the best, and a well looked after Sprinter can do 500,000 miles without major problem.

So age and mileage depends on your position and needs.
    Even though I like doing my own mechanics, I have gone for a 2002 Sprinter. I had a 1996 Sprinter and the newer one is better, and I’m enjoying the newer features. My last one had 200,000 miles on the clock and I did 12,000 miles in 9 months across Europe with no problems. The new one has 100,000 miles and feels very good to drive. It’s still easy to work on mechanically, but more is electronic.

So in summary, if you want a really big van go for a LWB Sprinter, Transit or Iveco.
    If you want a nicer van to drive go for a newer one, but don’t worry too much about the mileage. A FSH means the van has been cared for.
    If you’re not too worried about how it drives go for an older one.

As far as I know PSV buses MOT is similar to a Class 7 van MOT. They are only a little bit more in terms of MOT cost, but the rules are tighter.
    If the PSV becomes a motorcaravan it becomes Class 4, so easier MOT.
    If you got your driving license after 1997 you probably can’t drive a big vehicle anyway.

1. wow, that’s really helpful.
      wow, that’s really helpful. thanks! Haven’t found any mercedes yet, but we’ve been looking at a couple of transits.
      We need a largish van because there’s five adults, almost – all our kids are teenagers!

There are a lot of LDV Convoys around – do you know if they’re very long lasting?! I couldn’t work out from googling whether they’re front or rear wheel drive?

One of the LDVs we’re looking at is 1993 but it only has 31000 miles on the clock and it’s been looked after nicely (old school bus!) Not sure of the price yet, but from what you’re saying it sounds like that could be good as it’s easier to fix… what do you reckon?

Also looking at a 1999 high top transit with 140000 on the clock that’s already (home) converted to a camper with everything plumbed in. It’s in really nice condition from the description and they’re going to do a new MOT, but they’re asking £2100 which seems a bit steep?

I like the idea of an older vehicle with a simpler engine.
      I’m planning on doing a car maintenance course in September, and until then I have some good friends who can help with stuff that’s out of my league!