1996 t4 battery issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Clobo28
    Participant

Hi there,

I have recently bought a 1996 diesel 1.9 t4. We went for our first overnight camp yesterday and discovered a few problems! She started fine on the driveway, and we drove her about an hour to the campsite. When we went to turn it back on after checking in, there was nothing! Wasn’t turning over at all. We then realised we left the radio on, turned that off and it started fine. This morning, having had it plugged into electricity all night, she started up fine. We then let her run for a few
    mins and turned off. When we went back to start it up..nothing again. We turn the leisure battery on, and she starts str8 away. Then drove about 5 mins, left her again for an hour, and she wouldn’t start until the leisure battery had been on for around 5 mins.
    Any ideas?? We are tearing our hair out and quite upset we spent all this money and can’t use it without worrying!
    We are very new to this so if there is something obvious we are missing please advise us 🙂

Thanks

Chloe

mgroadster
    Participant

I’m not sure what you meant
    I’m not sure what you meant by…”Turned the radio off and it started fine” what immed after the radio was switched off?
    Either there is a drain or it’s not charging.
    When you try to turn the engine over….what happens? Do the lights etc still work ok or not?

mgroadster
    Participant

I’m not sure what you meant by…”Turned the radio off and it started fine” what immed after the radio was switched off?
    When you try to turn the engine over….what happens? Do the lights etc still work ok or not?

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

mgroadster
    Participant

Clobo28
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks for replying,

Hi,

Thanks for replying, sorry im not very helpful, we are new to this!
    The first time it wouldn’t work, we noticed that we had left the radio switched on, it was prob on for around 10 mins or so. We wondered whether we had somehow switched it to the leisure battery and therefore it wouldn’t work initially. When we turned the radio off, the van started (maybe coincidence).
    When we turn the engine on, nothing happens, no ticking, chuggig, silence. The most recent time it happened we turned the leisure battery on for 5 mins, and then it started (again, maybe coincidence).
    The dash lights come on, but to be honest I don’t know about the front lights etc.
    We have a leisure battery, and we believe it is split charge. Aside from that, we know nothing about it!
    Any ideas muchly appreciated 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.