12 volt lighting etc only works when the engine is running

Home Forum topic Campervan Conversions 12 volt lighting etc only works when the engine is running

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rod whirity
    Participant

hi all this is really puzzling me ,on my ambulance i can only get power to the lighting etc in the rear with the engine running,it has twin batteries under the bonnet does anyone have any suggestions? cheers rod.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Rod
    It sounds like there

Hi Rod

It sounds like there is a relay between the leisure battery and the fusebox that powers the lights in the back.
    The relay is triggered by the alternator probably, so that when the engine is running the relay opens and provides power to the fusebox.
    This is almost certainly so that the equipment in the back of the ambulance would only work when the engine is running, so that the equipment is not left on and the battery is flattened.

You can solve this by removing the relay from the circuit and allowing the leisure battery to power the fusebox at all times.

A further though is that the leisure battery has stopped holding any charge and needs replacing. If that is the case it would only provide power to the back when the engine is running and the alternator is proving power.

I think you need investigate the battery and wiring with a multimeter.

Darren
    Keymaster

Hi Rod
    It sounds like there

Hi Rod

It sounds like there is a relay between the leisure battery and the fusebox that powers the lights in the back.
    The relay is triggered by the alternator probably, so that when the engine is running the relay opens and provides power to the fusebox.
    This is almost certainly so that the equipment in the back of the ambulance would only work when the engine is running, so that the equipment is not left on and the battery is flattened.

You can solve this by removing the relay from the circuit and allowing the leisure battery to power the fusebox at all times.

A further though is that the leisure battery has stopped holding any charge and needs replacing. If that is the case it would only provide power to the back when the engine is running and the alternator is proving power.

I think you need investigate the battery and wiring with a multimeter.

rod whirity
    Participant

12 volt issues
    cheers darren thats a great help i will have a look at it

rod whirity
    Participant

12 volt issues
    cheers darren thats a great help i will have a look at it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.