your web site is ace-outstanding and really helpful

Home Forum topic Vehicle maintenance, suggestions and ideas your web site is ace-outstanding and really helpful

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Darren
    Keymaster

are there any specific or drastic engine problems to look out for on the MERCEDES BENZ SPRINTER VAN.208d-i travel alot so im thinking this is the best van to turn into a camper van- when should the cambelt be done every 70 OR 60 THOUSAND MILES ETC! HO MUCH DO THEY DO TO THE GALLON ! ANYWAYS THANKS FOR THE WEBSITE WILL KEEP INTOUCH!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. Can’t suggest much as mine
    Can’t suggest much as mine had very little go wrong, and it was high mileage.

Mine just had to have a few components replaced: starter motor, glow plugs, headlight.
    At an MOT I had to have the suspension tightened.

That was it. So can’t suggest anything to check now as such.
    It has a cam chain, rather than cam belt, so nothing to worry about there. Always keep the oil topped up though!

You should be fine.
    Enjoy

2. campervangeorge March 27, 2009 at 8:04 pm

renault traffic autosleeper problems
    hi, i just got one of these , its in great condition, just woundering if there are any pointers to look out for . cheers.

3. I had a 1996 208D that had

I had a 1996 208D that had done 200,000 miles when I bought it.  I did a trip around western Europe in it without any problems.  The only thing that I changed before the trip was the starter motor.  During the trip the only thing that failed was a glow plug.  I replaced all of the glow plugs once I had got home.

As fair as I am aware there are no general engine problem with these Mercedes engines.

They have a cam chain, instead of a cam belt.  This rarely needs replacing, certainly not every 60,000 miles.  Maybe every 300,000 miles!

My van (2.3 litre non-turbo engine) did about 35 miles to the gallon.  Better, and quicker, than my friends basic VW T4.  But the mercedes is quite slow, but perfect for traveling around.  I’d definitely recommend a Sprinter.