Wild Camping in Northern UK/Scottish Cities.. help for a newbie

Home Forum topic Camping Wild Camping in Northern UK/Scottish Cities.. help for a newbie

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    auscampers
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Just found this website today and it seems like a great source of info..

We are a young Australian couple in our late 20’s…

We’ve had our converted ex-ambulance Renault Master for a year now and had some great times camping in western europe with her last year.

We are about to head off on another trip for 6 weeks or so around the UK (mainly the north of england and all of scotland)…

I’d like to sort of mix it up a fair bit actually and stay at a proper campsite every 4 or so days to use the facilities but wild camp the rest of the time to help save the funds for the fun stuff.

I don’t really have many concerns with wild camping in rural england and scotland as I’ve got a pretty good 6th sense about sensible places to do it..

My concern lies with the cities….

We are pretty keen to visit some of the big cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow and Edinburgh but through my research I’ve discovered that a lot of these big cities have no proper camping grounds anywhere near them.. So do any of you have any advice for free camping in these cities?

Our van is not ridiculously big, but with side-windows on both sides it’s not exactly what I’d describe as a ‘stealth van’ either. Is it possible to find out what the safer inner city suburbs are and camp near parks in them? or is there a better way?

any help would be appreciated…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. wild camping
    A good site for wildcamping information is http://www.Wildcamping.co.uk

2. I’ve wild camped in quite a
    I’ve wild camped in quite a few cities.
    What I tend to do is find a suburb that looks fairly well off and safe. Then park up, and immediately go to bed. No one will even know you are in the van. I tend to park on a street where other work vans are parked. The sort of vans people take home from work.
    Then in the morning drive off, just like everyone else.

This is a bit different if you are looking for somewhere to leave your van for the day.
    Other advise would be to have breakfast, and spend the evening somewhere other than where you park for the night. This way people won’t catch on that you’re sleeping in the van.

Tesco supermarkets used to let people stop there for the night. Not sure if they still do. Also, Asda supermarkets might also let this happen.