Wild camping in Ireland and Northern Ireland

Home Forum topic Camping Wild camping in Ireland and Northern Ireland

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    conwaytwittys
    Participant

Hi folks we’re quite new to the game but since we got our van last May we have spent nearly every weekend and several weeks holidays camping in Northern Ireland and Ireland. We live in NI and have some good insider info on safe sites etc.

If anyone is planning a trip feel free to drop us a line and we can let you know some great spots in the area.

areas we know best are Donegal, Antrim (north/east coast) Galway and Clare, we are planning to get to know the east and south coast this spring/summer

all the best Rach

Arthur
    Participant

Hi Rachael

We are hoping to visit Ireland for about a month in April and May 2018. This is our first trip to Ireland and we hope to walk the Kerry Way and spend a bit of time in our campervan exploring this area and the Dingle peninsula. We prefer wild camping, but expect that we will have to spend the odd night on sites.Can you recommend any areas for wild camping and any reasonable sites in that area. We are also hoping to spend a few days near the Giants Causeway and also a few days in the south east (south of Dublin). Again, any thoughts on wild camping spots or sights would be appreciated. The other issue is security and the attitude in these areas to wild camping as we have heard that it is not welcomed in some places.

Kind regards

jacque50
    Participant

Hi
    We are travelling to Belfast next week and are in search of safe and secure wild spots to park up.
    Any suggestions welcome
    Thank you

Dlghorner
    Participant

Hi Rach!

Planning on a wild camping trip (In a rented VW camper) over 5 days from Belfast – North Coast –> Donegal and was wondering if you had any advice RE: Parking up overnight etc?

Night 1 – ?Around Bushmills/Dunseverick
    Night 2 – ?Portrush/?Derry/Londonderry
    Night 3 – ?Rosapenna
    Night 4 – ?Donegal Town

So many thanks :), of course we would be respectful etc.

Many Thanks!

David ([email protected])

Roho
    Participant

Hola,
    New in NI and cruising around the country in my van as much as possible as well and deff looking for great spots to wildcamp. So any info, or a list of great spots all over (especially donnegal)would be grand!

Happy days! Ro

RuthiesVanlife
    Participant

Looking for wild camping places around the North Coast(Portrush etc) i know this question has been asked but can’t seem to see replies so sorry for repeating the Question.

SierraRekemeyer
    Participant

Clifden Eco Beach Camping & Caravanning Park is my favourite Irish camping place.

pamelabear
    Participant

This is an ancient thread but wondered did anyone find any good wild sites for campervan – thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  1. West Coast and north
    Hi
    We are hoping to visit Donegal and work our way north and along the coast back to Larne, any advice on where to wild camp (campervan)? The trip will be at the end of July – its our first time so a little wary! How safe is it – we usually have kayaks and mountain bikes on the van, will they be safe? Obviously locked on but not sure about the crime rate! Any info would be really helpful.

2. Kinnego Bay
    Hi Rach,

grfeat tips thanks. Dunseverik harbour is great. Want to go to Kinnego, is it on Lough Swilly, west side of Inishowen peninsula? Is it still good to park up? Thanks

3. Wild camping spots
    Hi Rach
    Hope you can help us with some wild camping spots for and motorhome.
    We are coming to a wedding in Drogheda on 31st Oct 2015 and thought we would stay on for a couple of weeks to explore Ireland. We have never been before but love to wild camp. November probably isn’t the best time of year but hope fully will be quiet.

Kind regards
    Karen

4. Hi is there any wild camping
    Hi is there any wild camping sites in Portstewart

5. Donegal Co.
    Hello Rachel,

I want to explore Donegal Co. next June/July, especially the West Coast, Mt. Errigal and maybe Tory Island. I will have my rucksack, tent and food so are there walking trails along the coast or is there an easy way to hire a bike but will the roads be easy enough to travel.

Regards, Wendy

6. North Coast
    Rachel,

I hope this page is still running! My wife and I are heading up to the North coast this weekend in our new VW camper. We are really tired of using the local sites and find them too busy and over-run with noisy children! Ideally we want to be close to Portballintrae and Bushmills (walking distance from the pub if possible). Can you think of any good wild camping spots that we could try?

Many thanks

Sam

7. Hi there
    Can you let me in on

Hi there
    Can you let me in on some secret spots round Ireland?
    We are taking my T25 (we have breakdown cover hahaha) across on the ferry to dun laoghaire then heading to Galway… slowly.
    Going to stay on Connemare Eco campsite for sure, will be a dream for a stargazer I imagine.
    Then its onto the ring of kerry. We got a few weeks and this much of a plan.
    Any other spots you recommend than has already been said?

Thanks and happy travels x

8. Campsites near Portrush that will take very large groups
    Myself and a group of friends plan to camp to celebrate a birthday. There will be between 16 and 30 of us going. What campsites are the most tolerant of teens?

If there are no sites is there any wild camping spots in the same area?

9. Wild camping in a tent around Bundoran/Rossnowlagh
    Hi Rach, and anyone else!

Myself and a friend (both girls in our twenties) are going to Bundoran next weekend, we will be staying in a hotel on the Friday and Saturday night but we’ve decided to go early and camp on the Thursday night. We won’t really need any facilities since it’s just for one night, we have a camping stove and we will be leaving no trace of our presence. Can you recommend anywhere that would be safe and sheltered, preferably in that general area but we’re very happy to drive a bit further for a special spot? Ideally we’re thinking dunes by a nice beach as we’d like to go swimming in the evening and morning, but we don’t want to be too far from the car.

Thanks very much!

10. wild camping round coast of ireland
    wd be great to know some wild camping places in ROI. we plan to do a coastal tour. ta.

11. wild camping round coast of ireland
    wd be great to know some wild camping places in ROI. we plan to do a coastal tour. ta.

1. wildcamping in ROI
      HI MAGS TRY THIS WEBB SITE ITS CALLED WILDCAMPING.CO.UK AND PUT IN THE AND LOOK IN THE IRELAND POSTS AND U WILL FIND A LIST OFF GOOD SPOTS I AM DOING UP ONE MYSELF BUT ITS NOT READY YET . HAPPY CAMPING MAC..

12. Just paid my deposit on my first campervan tonight
    Really looking forward to testing out this new experience have been camping for years now and my wife has convinved me to buy one of these. It’s a few years old but in great nic. Left hander too but I am really looking forward to seeing some more of this wonderful island. Will be reading all these tips as I hope to head away over Easter.
    If I find any nice places I’ll let you all know!

13. coomcamperconverts February 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm

west cork /kerry
    from the south myself and there are endless places to wildcamp in west cork and kerry. your biggest problem will be where to start and in april nobody will bother you. best tip caherdaniel/derrynane beach. on the ring of kerry. absolutley beautiful spot. for years i’ve been parking beside derrynane house in the car park .one of the nicest car parks you’ll find.never had any bother even in summer with the washing line out. stroll to the beach . try castlegregory a surfing mecca always wild campers about. just pull of the road along the dunes and park looking over the beach. glenbeigh on the north side of the ring of kerry is a huge sandspit covered in rolling dunes great spot but sometimes they close a height barrier.let me know where you plan to stop there are endless options just some ain’t the easist to find

14. Ireland and NI Trip
    Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend are attending a wedding in Downpatrick at the end of April this year, we are crossing over from Pembroke to Rosslare and plan to go around the Republic clockwise getting in the sights and ending up in NI for the wedding. We have got 2 weeks to do this so what are you recommendations? After the wedding we cross back over from Dublin to Holyhead as we are then gong to travel back to London through Wales. We are keen to go around the Ring of Kerry, also explore a bit of Mayo as this is where my Great Grandfather is from.

Thanks for your time,

Hayden.

15. wild camping in motorhome in Northern Ireland
    Hi,
    We are coming to Northern Ireland over Easter to go orienteering but all the campsites are full! Does anyone have any suggestions for places to wild camp. The orienteering is near Downpatrick and Slieve Croob.

16. Hi which county are you in?
    Hi which county are you in? We know some better than others!

My absolute top tip for Donegal is Kinnego bay in Inishowen, it is spectacular and has a nice little camping community there in summer, there are usually a scattering of tents along the beach and the odd van. We were the only van there the weekend we went. its still very private with most campers just enjoying the peace and quiet

A neighbour recommended it and it is just stunning, a real gem, the sea, sand and scenery are incredible and theres a good bit of coast to explore. Its not suitable for a very big van because of the tight bends and deep dips in the road, its about 8 km outside of Greencastle. we take the Magilligan ferry which is short and sweet.

Another favourite spot of ours is Dunseverick harbour on the north coast, its very cute and theres loads of good walking. ( a public loo too!) Its far enough off the beaten track to escape the late night courting couples and chippy eaters. We always let the lady in the wee house know that we are camping and that we won’t be any bother.

Let me know your tips too, all the best Rach

17. ireland
    Hi Rach
    I would be grateful for any info you can give on wildcamping in a motorhome in Ireland
    we also live in Northern Ireland and use our van as much as possible.
    Many Thanks